ietf-nntp HDR replacement text

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 30 13:06:38 PDT 2002

>>>>> "Russ" == Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

 Russ> I don't think we've yet reached any conclusions about this.
 Russ> Could other people please weigh in?  When all the articles in a
 Russ> specified range for HDR or OVER are not present, should the
 Russ> server return an empty list, or an error code?

it's potentially awkward to return an error code; looking at a few
existing implementations, returning an empty response seems to be
the usual behaviour. (i.e. the logic is "send response; then loop
through specified range sending data when available")

 Russ> Specifying an individual number and specifying a range should
 Russ> result in the same behavior.

hrm. not sure.

A case could possibly be made for allowing the server to return either
the empty list or the error code.

--
Andrew.