ietf-nntp AUTHINFO SASL protocol choices

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 4 12:33:05 PST 2002

Lawrence Greenfield <leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> I don't understand what the problem is with possible long lines.  Just
> allow it; what's the big deal?  I can't imagine an implementation that
> makes dealing with 64k lines for one command so incredibly burdensome
> that we have to change the entire command to do it a different way.

I don't consider 64KB of data to be a "command."  I think it's rather
dubious that SASL exchanges are commands at all; the multiline approach
just "feels" cleaner to me regardless.  But with that quantity of data, it
just makes more sense to me to use the already-defined NNTP method of
exchanging arbitrary amounts of data.