ietf-nntp AUTHINFO SASL protocol choices

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 4 12:13:12 PST 2002

I don't understand what the problem is with possible long lines.
Just allow it; what's the big deal?  I can't imagine an implementation
that makes dealing with 64k lines for one command so incredibly
burdensome that we have to change the entire command to do it a
different way.

Also: if you're writing the RFC 2222 definition of SASL, you don't
have a problem since 2222 doesn't specify a minimum size you need to
transport.  It's the general view of people working with SASL that the
next version should specify a minimum, and we believed that 64k was a
reasonable size in this day and age.

Larry