ietf-nntp Simplification of wildmat

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue May 1 11:30:28 PDT 2001

In <20010430124504.U88807 at demon.net> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

>I have put two versions on my web site.

><http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/section-5a.txt>
>  Full proposal with sets, updated to the end of this thread. Note that
>  \ is forbidden, comma can't occur in sets, and [d-a] matches nothing.

It would be helpful to explain, in some NOTE, just why "\" has been
excluded from wildmat-exact. Presumably, it is to allow its use in some
future extension. Ditto with "[" and "]" in the 'b' version.

In 5.2.1  each match any -> each matches any
In 11.4   SHALL -> MUST   ???

><http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/section-5b.txt>
>  Same proposal with sets removed and [ and ] also forbidden.

It would be slightly simpler to exclude "!" from wildmat-exact too, since
this is the absolute minimal proposal.

Yes, I could accept either of these texts. My preference is for 'a'.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.