ietf-nntp Streaming

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Tue May 1 11:02:03 PDT 2001

>>>>> "Russ" == Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

 Russ> It's true that anyone who thinks about it for a moment won't
 Russ> stream IHAVE or POST, but nonetheless they do have the same
 Russ> restriction, and I don't think there's anything lost by being
 Russ> explicit and not making people derive that information.
 Russ> (Invariably, someone won't think it through before trying to
 Russ> deploy code.)

I can confirm that there exists client software that will stream
through a POST command, because I put a diagnostic for that case in
my server :-)

Admittedly, that client software seems to be a piece of spamware....

(I gave serious consideration to the idea of automatically blackholing
any post where the client tried to stream, but decided in the end to
let it through to the posting filters where we have more control over
what to do with it.)

--
Andrew.