ietf-nntp Timeout in a POST (or IHAVE) command

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Jul 5 02:48:44 PDT 2001

Russ Allbery said:
> What is a server supposed to do if an inactivity timer expires while
> awaiting input from a POST command from the client?  (Or an IHAVE command,
> for that matter?)
>
> Since 1.0, INN's nnrpd has sent a final 503 response to the client and
> then closed the network connection in this case.

I think that the correct code is 400 or 404 (see previous message).
However, as in the general case, the state machines are in the wrong
conceptual state, so the code might be lost by a pipeline flush.

Um, what I'm saying is that this shouldn't be handled differently to the
other case, except that perhaps the minimum time should be different.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037