ietf-nntp Timeout in a POST (or IHAVE) command

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 06:59:03 PDT 2001

>>>>> "Russ" == Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

 Russ> Since 1.0, INN's nnrpd has sent a final 503 response to the
 Russ> client and then closed the network connection in this case.
 Russ> The draft doesn't appear to touch on this case at all, apart
 Russ> from the general statement about inactivity timers early in the
 Russ> document.  (innd, on the other hand, just closes the connection
 Russ> without saying anything.)

 Russ> The other two alternatives that occur to me apart from INN's
 Russ> behavior are to close the connection without saying anything at
 Russ> all, or to send a 441 posting failed response (or for IHAVE,
 Russ> probably a deferral) and then close the connection.

I just close the connection.

I have a serious dislike for the concept of generating out-of-sequence
unsolicited response codes for timeout situations.

--
Andrew.