ietf-nntp DEBUG command & x9x (was: 9xx)

Chin Chee-Kai cheekai at SoftML.net
Fri Jul 28 12:45:14 PDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Stan O. Barber wrote:

>>Based on this and other comment from you, then I would take it that you are in
>>the group that says that X9X should never be presented by a server under normal
>>circumstances.

I'm more in the group that says the DEBUG command should go
and let's work directly on clarifying the message spaces x9x
and x8x instead.

If I recall correctly, Russ made a suggestion
and suggested that clients treat all x9x responses as 500 errors.
Clive commented that its a particular case of a more general case
of what to do when client confronts an unexpected response.
Clive also suggested to make a best guess based on first digit.

(ok, it's a short summary, may miss out more elaborations.
Please refer to archived mails for details).

Cheers,
CK