ietf-nntp DEBUG command & x9x (was: 9xx)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 28 13:53:37 PDT 2000

Chin Chee-Kai <cheekai at SoftML.net> writes:

> If I recall correctly, Russ made a suggestion (Message-ID:
> <ylu2de5dfd.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu>) on using x9x for any and all
> private uses (including debugging) and x8x for authentication, to which
> Andrew also agreed.

I think this is the best approach even though it differs from RFC 977.
Authentication is a pretty huge part of the protocol; a lot of sites use
it and would find NNTP completely unusable without authentication.  I
think it therefore passes the level of critical problem that justifies
changing RFC 977 based on existing practice.  (I entirely agree with Stan
that we shouldn't do this lightly.)

> I pointed out the lack of specifying what a client should behave on
> receiving x9x messages in both RFC977 and this draft (Message-ID:
> <Pine.LNX.3.93.1000725120021.1647B-100000 at one.softml.net>), and
> suggested that clients treat all x9x responses as 500 errors.  Clive
> commented that its a particular case of a more general case of what to
> do when client confronts an unexpected response.  Clive also suggested
> to make a best guess based on first digit.

The only problem that I have with making decisions based on the first
digit is what to do with commands that normally return multiline
expected return (the beginning of a multiline response) and that code
isn't actually beginning a multiline response, you get into protocol
trouble.

In retrospect, it would have been nice if there were a Nxx message class
reserved specifically for introducing multiline responses, but
unfortunately we don't have that.