ietf-nntp DEBUG command (9xx)

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Fri Jul 28 06:40:55 PDT 2000

Lee Kindness wrote:

> Stan O. Barber writes:
>  > [The DEBUG command was intended to clarify RFC977, which is part of
>  > the charter. We can dispose of this command, but if we do, then we
>  > are left with the lack of clarity on what happens when a client
>  > sees an X9X response during a session.]
>
> Given that 'common practice' is being documented and no servers (that
> I know of) have a DEBUG command, or return x9x status codes then I
> fail to see the problem with dropping the x9x code documentation.

Again, the charter does not require common practice be documented. Besides, that
was done elsewhere.

> Even if a server did output x9x codes - surely they are for LOCAL use
> and should not be enabled in a deployed server.

Okey. That's certainly a clarification of RFC977. If that's the approach that
folks want to take instead of adding a DEBUG command, I am ok with that. We just
need some more commentary so that consensus is clear.