ietf-nntp DEBUG command (9xx)

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Jul 28 08:17:08 PDT 2000

Stan O. Barber said:
>> Why not ?
> Here is the charter:
>
> The IETF NNTP extensions Working Group shall:
[...]

I notice that you omit:

    The first concern of this working group shall be for the
    interoperability of the various NNTP implementations, and therefore for
    clear and explicit specification of the protocol. It is very important
    that we document the existing situation before taking up any new work.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(<http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/nntpext-charter.html>)

Are you saying that we must remain exactly compatible with 977 even in the
places where 977 is a work of fiction and/or obsolete ? That we must *not*
document the current situation ?

Yet you appear to think it is okay to add a new mandatory DEBUG command
that is not even hinted at in 977.

If so, I have great trouble believing that the authors of the charter meant
that. Do I need to make a call for rechartering this group ?

> Right now, by my count, we have two folks who agree with this. I would not
> consider this a
> consensus.

We have none who disagree that I can see.

What do you consider is required to attain consensus when there is no
dissent ? a lone dissenter ? How long does it take ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037