ietf-nntp DEBUG command (9xx)

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 11:49:59 PDT 2000

>>>>> "Russ" == Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

 Russ> Here's what I think is probably the only really relevant
 Russ> question: Is there any server that any of the assembled people
 Russ> on this list are familiar with that has ever used the debugging
 Russ> codes in a deployed version?

I've not seen one.

Neither have I come across any situation in my own server development
work where it would have been useful. If I need debug output I have the
server write it to some convenient log.

 Russ> If not, then I'd like to propose a somewhat radical notion to
 Russ> take care of two problems at once.  How about we combine the
 Russ> private and debugging spaces and leave x9x for any and all
 Russ> implementation-specific codes unlikely to be seen in the wild?
 Russ> We can then rename the x8x space to be authentication codes and
 Russ> the only significant violations that I'm aware of are XGTITLE
 Russ> (which is about to become obsolete anyway) and a few private
 Russ> extensions that can probably be moved or which can just ignore
 Russ> the division of NNTP codes (heaven knows it's not the cleanest
 Russ> namespace in the world already).

I would go along with that

--
Andrew.