ietf-nntp DEBUG command (9xx)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 25 10:26:30 PDT 2000

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

> The real question, of course, is do we want debugging in the NNTP
> standard at all ?

Here's what I think is probably the only really relevant question:  Is
there any server that any of the assembled people on this list are
familiar with that has ever used the debugging codes in a deployed
version?

I've never seen one; has anyone else?

If not, then I'd like to propose a somewhat radical notion to take care of
two problems at once.  How about we combine the private and debugging
spaces and leave x9x for any and all implementation-specific codes
unlikely to be seen in the wild?  We can then rename the x8x space to be
authentication codes and the only significant violations that I'm aware of
are XGTITLE (which is about to become obsolete anyway) and a few private
extensions that can probably be moved or which can just ignore the
division of NNTP codes (heaven knows it's not the cleanest namespace in
the world already).