ietf-nntp Section 7.1 - GREETING step.

David Riley David.Riley at software.com
Mon Jul 24 16:59:28 PDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 04:03:06PM -0500, Stan O. Barber wrote:

> It is part of the charter of the group to be consistent with RFC977 and to
> clarify it.
>
> MODE READER is not required by RFC977, so we can't require it either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that certain packages
are unable to support reader clients without the "MODE READER" command
being issued.  (I'm not that familiar with INN, but I believe that to be
the case).

On a similar issue, I don't believe that MODE READER should reset any sort
of state, to facilitate servers which do not need to change state once the
MODE READER command has been issued.

> Hmm. I will look into this. The whole archive is also available at this URL:
>
> 	ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/nntp/ietf/ietf-nntp.mailing-list.txt

Thanks.

> > Which leaves the original question -- why the change to 504?
>
> It was not 504 in the previous draft, so it was either an editing mistake or
> something suggested by someone.

Okay, so the text will be reverting to 502 for the next revision?

--
David Riley
David.Riley at software.com - Software.com, Inc. (Vancouver, B.C.)