ietf-nntp Section 7.1 - GREETING step.

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 24 17:31:48 PDT 2000

David Riley <David.Riley at software.com> writes:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that certain
> packages are unable to support reader clients without the "MODE READER"
> command being issued.  (I'm not that familiar with INN, but I believe
> that to be the case).

It depends on the configuration.

In the common case, every possible remote host falls into three exclusive
buckets:  hosts that can't connect, remote peers, and readers.  In that
configuration, MODE READER is never necessary.  It's only necessary if
you're doing transit and readers on the same port and some remote sites
can be either transit or readers.

This is, however, the case in one particular configuration which is
growing increasingly common, namely running a personal copy of INN on your
Linux box and using suck/rpost or some other similar package to pull down
news.