ietf-nntp new draft of base document available

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Jul 24 14:32:41 PDT 2000

Stan O. Barber said:
>> In several places I made a proposal and nobody said anything one way or the
>> other. It was only last week that I discovered you'd accepted some of them.
>
> That's because I didn't do the current set of edits until recently. I like to
> wait a bit between edits of big documents so I can feed like I have a "fresher"
> view of the document.

Unfortunately this view of the process means that nobody else knows what is
going on. For example, I have written new text for six sections in the past
week. While some (e.g. MODE READER) are still jelling, I have seen no
comment on others, and would like to know whether there are any issues with
them *now*, so that I can discuss them while they're fresh in my mind.

Concrete example: in November I wrote:

    >      9.2.1 ARTICLE

    This and the next three commands are *very* similar, and the reader will
    have difficulty in determining the differences between them. I would
    suggest that almost all the text is moved into 9.2.

You didn't do it. Why not ? If you'd made some comment back then, we could
have thrashed it out on the list - for example, if you wanted to see exact
wording before deciding, I could have done it then and the current draft
would perhaps be more readable as a result. As it is, the issue I mention -
determining the differences - is *still* an issue.

>> I will. But it would have helped if you'd *said* months ago that you
>> weren't accepting that change, and why.
> You assume that months ago I was making these decisions. They were made just
> before the draft was released.

In which case I think you're doing it wrongly.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037