ietf-nntp new draft of base document available

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Thu Jul 20 09:40:24 PDT 2000

"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:

> >> No, for two reasons:
> >>
> >> (1) They don't appear for months after the discussion that led to the
> >> change.
> >
> > This is why there are mailing list archives.
>
> They don't help.
>
> In several places I made a proposal and nobody said anything one way or the
> other. It was only last week that I discovered you'd accepted some of them.

That's because I didn't do the current set of edits until recently. I like to
wait a bit between edits of big documents so I can feed like I have a "fresher"
view of the document. Often I have found that when I do alot of editing of the
same document without taking some time to do other things, I tend to make
assumptions about what the reader is reading which are based on my own
familiarity with the document. This means that the document may miss some
important information that is obvious to those famliar with the basic subject
matter, but is completely unknown to those new to the information. I want to
avoid this as much as possible.

> >> (2) They don't explain why changes weren't made.
> > Again, if there are questions about why certain changes were made or not, then
> > ask them.
>
> I will. But it would have helped if you'd *said* months ago that you
> weren't accepting that change, and why.

You assume that months ago I was making these decisions. They were made just
before the draft was released.

If I have to make a choice between getting the draft done and explaining why I
did what I did, then I will get the draft done. As soon as time permits, I can
post a response to your original article detailing my thought processes in the
decisions I made, but right now, time has not permitted me to do that.