ietf-nntp Section 11.5 - NEWNEWS

David Riley David.Riley at software.com
Mon Jul 24 11:01:13 PDT 2000

The NEWGROUPS command accepts both GMT and UTC as keywords.  NEWNEWS should
probably support both keywords as well.  (Currently, only GMT is listed.)

Also, as previously discussed in other messages, I think that the wildmat
specification must be clarified to detail exactly what happens when a list
of wildmat expressions are provided.  I believe that Russ' most recent
description is correct.  (must be at least one inclusive expression that
matches; the rightmost inclusive expression that matches must not be
followed by a negating expression that matches; and that, by default,
nothing matches.)  This probably should be further expanded for NEWNEWS,
since in this case, the list of wildmat expressions is being compared
against a list of groups instead of a single group.

Finally, I think we should consider making NEWNEWS an extension.  I think
that NEWNEWS is not always implemented, and is disabled in many cases.

--
David Riley
David.Riley at software.com - Software.com, Inc. (Vancouver, B.C.)