ietf-nntp Section 11.5 - NEWNEWS

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 11:49:19 PDT 2000

>>>>> "David" == David Riley <David.Riley at software.com> writes:

 David> The NEWGROUPS command accepts both GMT and UTC as keywords.
 David> NEWNEWS should probably support both keywords as well.
 David> (Currently, only GMT is listed.)

I mentioned this before. Existing practice is to recognise only GMT
for both commands; introducing UTC has no benefit other than to
satisfy pedants.

 David> Finally, I think we should consider making NEWNEWS an
 David> extension.

This has already been covered at some length - please consult the
list archives

 David> I think that NEWNEWS is not always implemented, and is
 David> disabled in many cases.

It's disabled because people have insisted on implementing it
inefficiently and then objecting to the resulting load. It's not
as though it's hard to implement efficiently.

(Note: we should probably add some qualifications to make it easier:
specifically, an explicit statement that the output of NEWNEWS is
not ordered, and may contain duplicates.)

--
Andrew.