ietf-nntp Second message from Mike Castle

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Wed Jul 19 10:01:00 PDT 2000

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 10:22:11PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Stan O Barber <sob at verio.net> writes:
>
> > 1. Adding an optional integer argument to NEXT and LAST, to specify
> > the "step" to NEXT or LAST to.
>
> This sounds like an interesting protocol extension, although I'm not sure
> if anyone actually uses NEXT or LAST much.  The advent of threaded news

I'm not certain that this WOULD be a good idea.  At least for LAST.

Maybe I missed it, but is LAST guaranteed to always be the same article
number in a group?

GROUP foo
LAST
(wait a few minutes)
LAST

Are you sure you will get the same article?  If a new article came in, and
the server connection recognizes it, might it grab the newest last article?

If so, then LAST 10, LAST 9, LAST 8, new article arrives, LAST 7, oops
skipped an article.

mrc