ietf-nntp Message from Mike Castle

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 19 13:14:07 PDT 2000

Mike Castle wrote:

> I thought INN _was_ considered to be the reference implementation now,
> as opposed to C-news + nntp.

I'd recommend against treating INN as a reference implementation, at least
until I can come up with some details about how it differs from the
standard.  INN contains a lot of cruft for a lot of historical reasons
(and some things that never should have been there in the first place) and
unless you know INN fairly well, it's often hard to determine whether that
cruft is useful to document or should just be removed from INN and ignored
by the rest of the world.