I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nntpext-base-06.txt

Clive D.W. Feather clive at on-the-train.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 6 21:38:23 PST 1998

In message <yam7614.1474.2016039584 at post.demon.co.uk>, Bill Godfrey
<bill at bacchae.demon.co.uk> writes
>The whole point of Replaces: (as I read it) is to replace an article, but
>where the update is not so important as to require people to re-read it.
[...]

Nonetheless, it's a separate article.

To continue your example, what if there's already been a reply pointing
out your trivial mistake. Now you overwrite the article and people start
flaming the replier for forging the error !

It's a separate article, so leave it as one. Use other techniques to
match it to the replaced article.

--
Clive D.W. Feather   | Regulation Officer, LINX | Work: <clive at linx.org>
Tel: +44 1733 705000 | (on secondment from      | Home: <cdwf at i.am>