I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nntpext-base-06.txt

Clive D.W. Feather clive at on-the-train.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 6 21:36:14 PST 1998

In message <Pine.GSO.3.96.981106133641.11277B-100000 at w0>, Thomas
Gschwind <tom at infosys.tuwien.ac.at> writes
>* How could the news server implement a wrap around of the watermarks
>  then? Are the low/high watermarks increasing indefinitely?

We never did sort out how wrap around would be done. The consensus seems
to have been that, with 9 digit article numbers, it won't happen often
enough to matter and so you just have a flag day.

[Lots of other good reasons deleted.]

>As far as I understood, the primary intent is that an article I have
>read already should not reappear as unread.  Wouldn't it be easier to
>require the reading agent to check whether the superseded article has
>already been read? This could be easily implemented by using the Xref
>header of the superseded article!

Indeed. Or, since Replaces: is new, we could require the Xref header in
the replacing article to contain both sets of numbers:

or have an XrefReplaced: header. Or something.

--
Clive D.W. Feather   | Regulation Officer, LINX | Work: <clive at linx.org>
Tel: +44 1733 705000 | (on secondment from      | Home: <cdwf at i.am>