ietf-nntp Issues list

Jeff Garzik jeff.garzik at spinne.com
Sat Nov 29 00:55:05 PST 1997

Stan Barber wrote:
> UTF-8 and responses
>         In the responses where a fixed format is required (like ARTICLE,
>         BODY, HEAD, and STAT), should the default be US-ASCII or UTF-8?
>         [Right now, I think this is not a problem and perhaps we should
>         just defer it until message-ids starting having 8 bit contents.]

Are the current son-of-rfc-1036 discussions indicating that message-ids
should be something other than printable ASCII?

> BODY and MIME (a little pun there)
>         The current BODY command does not provision including the MIME type
>         in a reponse. Should this be added or is it best to assume that
>         clients will get this header using PAT or HEAD if they want it
>         before they get the body? If we add it to body, how do we do that?
>         Should it be part of the response?

Make it a part of the "NNN" response line, not part of the returned data
set.

>         What about lenghts here? RFC977 didn't have any lenghts on these
>         kinds of things. Someone suggested 988 octects. Any opinions on this?

Having maximums on responses is a good idea.

> Other stuff--
>         Do we want a table of response codes?

That would be handy.
--
Jeff Garzik			    Typhoon, Cyclone, Diablo, and INN
Spinne USENET News Service	        Fast and efficient news feeds