ietf-nntp LIST EXTENSION response 205 vs 215

Thu Feb 13 11:28:13 PST 1997

> David Johnson recently pointed out that the new Netscape NNTP server
> that implements the LIST EXTENSION command returns 215.  Stan's
> document specifies that the response should be 205.

> RFC 977 says:
>        x0x - Connection, setup, and miscellaneous messages
>        x1x - Newsgroup selection

> While 205 fits better into the numbering layout, the 215 return is
> the same as the return for all the other LIST commands, and we'd
> prefer to be consistent in that regard.

> What do people think?

I would prefer 205.  If all the other LIST subcommands return 215,
presumably this is because they all refer to newsgroup selection.  If
LIST is now getting extended beyond newsgroup selection, it seems to me
only logical that its reply codes correspondingly get extended beyond
newsgroup selection replies.

Besides, what's the point of having a standard for the semantics of the
second digit of the reply code if we don't follow it?  If those second
digits don't in fact have the semantics they are supposed to have, we
might as well drop them entirely, it seems to me.

					der Mouse

			       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca