ietf-nntp LIST EXTENSION response 205 vs 215

Ben Polk bpolk at netscape.com
Thu Feb 13 12:14:45 PST 1997

At 02:28 PM 2/13/97 -0500, der Mouse wrote:

>I would prefer 205.  If all the other LIST subcommands return 215,
>presumably this is because they all refer to newsgroup selection.

Ah, no, that would be false.

LIST OVERVIEW.FMT, LIST DISTRIBUTIONS, and the new LIST MOTD have
nothing to do with "newsgroup selection", which was my point.

But I give up.  Make everyone add a test at the end of their
LIST handling function to see which argument was processed and
return a different status.  If that's what you want, that's what
we'll do.

> If LIST is now getting extended beyond newsgroup selection, it seems to me
>only logical that its reply codes correspondingly get extended beyond
>newsgroup selection replies.

Perhaps we should have a different reply code for every LIST argument?

>Besides, what's the point of having a standard for the semantics of the
>second digit of the reply code if we don't follow it?  If those second
>digits don't in fact have the semantics they are supposed to have, we
>might as well drop them entirely, it seems to me.

The second digits semantic has been long lost in ways far worse than
this.  But as I say, I surrender.