ietf-nntp NEWNEWS queries

Richard Letts r.j.letts at salford.ac.uk
Sat Dec 20 05:42:56 PST 1997

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Charles Lindsey wrote:

> 2. I raised this one previously, but noone seems to have answered.
>
> Are control messages supposed to be reported by the NEWNEWS command if
> the Newsgroups line of the control message includes a group named in
> the newnews? The text is silent on this. INN does not supply these,

Personally I think they should. However this goes against the grain, since
it makes all implementations non-standard. I don't belive INN passes them
down active feeds either if !control is specified in /newsfeeds/.

I think it's because INN doesn't file them into the groups listed in the
Newsgroups: line as well / including control. Looking at a cancel I issued
yesterday from within TIN I see newsgroups: only had the group I cancelled
the article in, but the cancel message was only filed in control, not
uk.comp.sys.sun.

If control messages were filed in the groups listed in Newsgroups then it
would also allow people to retreive them using GROUP and ARTICLE
article-number as well.

Richard Letts                           mail:   R.J.Letts at ais.salford.ac.uk
Network Services Manager                phone:  +44 161 295 5252
University of Salford                   fax:    +44 161 295 5888
Great Britain                           mobile: +44 385 275394