NEWNEWS (was Re: ietf-nntp "Common NNTP Extensions" document updated)

Jon Ribbens jon at oaktree.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 08:39:55 PST 1997

Jeff Garzik <jeff.garzik at spinne.com> wrote:
> Can we agree, at the very least, that
>
> 	it should be mentioned in RFCs and drafts that NEWNEWS may not
> 	be implemented by some news servers, and why?
>
> Saying such doesn't modify the status of the NEWNEWS command at all, but
> is very useful information to future NNTP developers.

Sorry, I fail to see how you could possibly interpret that as "not modifying
it status". Its status has quite clearly changed, from "required" to
"not required".

> Or to put it another way, not saying it is the same as denying that a
> problem doesn't exist... when it does.

Shifting the problem elsewhere is hardly a very good solution.

Cheers

Jon
____
\  //    Jon Ribbens    // 100MB virtual-hosted // www.oaktree.co.uk