NEWNEWS (was Re: ietf-nntp "Common NNTP Extensions" document updated)

Jeff Garzik jeff.garzik at spinne.com
Mon Dec 1 08:48:37 PST 1997

Jon Ribbens wrote:
> Jeff Garzik <jeff.garzik at spinne.com> wrote:
> > Can we agree, at the very least, that
> >
> >       it should be mentioned in RFCs and drafts that NEWNEWS may not
> >       be implemented by some news servers, and why?
> >
> > Saying such doesn't modify the status of the NEWNEWS command at all, but
> > is very useful information to future NNTP developers.
>
> Sorry, I fail to see how you could possibly interpret that as "not modifying
> it status". Its status has quite clearly changed, from "required" to
> "not required".
>
> > Or to put it another way, not saying it is the same as denying that a
> > problem doesn't exist... when it does.
>
> Shifting the problem elsewhere is hardly a very good solution.

The topic here (at least in the subject) is common practices.  Are you
denying that a common practice among many admins is to disable NEWNEWS?

The current state of affairs is such that NEWNEWS cannot be counted on
to be available to an NNTP client.  It seems like you willfully want to
keep developers and users in the dark about that.
--
Jeff Garzik			    Typhoon, Cyclone, Diablo, and INN
Spinne USENET News Service	        Fast and efficient news feeds