ietf-nntp New draft available

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Sun Aug 31 22:03:18 PDT 1997

I have submitted a new Internet-Draft to the ID folks. I hope it will be
called "draft-ietf-nntpext-base-01.txt" and you can get an advanced copy
at this URL:
	ftp://ftp.sesqui.net/pub/nntp/ietf/nntpext.txt

I have not put any examples in this version. I expect to do that in the next
version, but I wanted to be sure that the text made as much sense has possible
before adding the examples.

This version has some significant changes. Here are the highlights:

1. I have restructured the initial section explaining the various steps
in a typical NNTP session. There was some internal inconsistancy in the initial
version and this one should be more consistent.

2. This version replaces AUTHINFO SIMPLE with the original AUTHINFO. There
was some confusion on which way we decided to go on this, so I chose
what Nat from Microsoft remembered versus what I remembered. If I was right,
let me know and I will do a different swap in the next version.

3. This version makes AUTHINFO an extension. This is consistent with what
one of the AD's wanted to see in the new NNTP.

4. This version contants a version of draft 3 of the renumbering draft from
Clive Feather. I think all the ideas are there, but I reformatted them a bit
to fit in with the rest of the content.

5. I added a "CHARSET" command as an extension to make an attempt to deal with
the character set issues in group names and pattern searches in header
contents. I hope this addresses a concern raised by the other AD.

6. I extended the syntax of NEWNEWS so that four digit years could be
specified. (y2k strikes again!)

Please direct your comments to ietf-nntp at academ.com.

The new version of the common-practices draft should be available around
October 1, 1997.