nntp-extensions Re: ietf-nntp NNTP SEARCH extension internet-draft available

Chris Newman chris at INNOSOFT.COM
Fri Nov 1 11:40:32 PST 1996

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Rich Salz wrote:
> I was surprised to see that the "state of the art" in IMAP was an I-D.
> Is the IMAP crowd really saying that an NNTP draft should be withdrawn
> just because a previous *draft document* was out a few months earlier?

RFC 1730 is a proposed standard.  The draft contains refinements and some
minor bugfixes.  The core command set hasn't changed.

As I've stated before, while I may think improving NNTP's newsreading
abilities is not a productive use of time, I won't stand in the way of the
effort unless you create gratuitously incompatible protocol (such as the
why the proposed SEARCH command deals with charsets).