Origins of DATE command

Paul Overell paulo at turnpike.com
Thu Jul 11 01:47:17 PDT 1996

On the DATE command draft-barber-nntp-imp-05.txt states

> DATE
>
> The NNTP V2 draft specification added this command to help
> clients find out the current time from the server's perspective.
> At the time this command was discussed (1991-1992), the
> Network Time Protocol [9] (NTP) was not yet in wide use and there
> was also some concern that small systems may not be able to make
> effective use of NTP.

However, the DATE command is nowhere to be seen in the NNTP V2 draft
that was recently posted to this list.

Is this attribution in error?

Where did the DATE command come from?

--
Paul Overell                                        T U R N P I K E  Ltd