Proposal to use of ABNF in RFC977bis's formal syntax

Paul Overell paulo at turnpike.com
Thu Jul 11 03:05:20 PDT 1996

Both RFC977 and draft-barber-nntp-imp-05.txt give the formal syntax of
NNTP commands using their own syntactic metalanguage as described in
RFC977 3.

I would like to propose that RFC977bis should use ABNF for its formal
syntax.  ABNF is currently being standardized, see draft-drums-abnf-
01.txt.  This is the syntactic metalanguage that is used in RFC822 and
in many other RFC's and drafts.

With a standardized ABNF there is no need for RFC authors to invent (and
explain) their own variety of syntactic metalanguage.

So, for example

draft-barber-nntp-imp-05.txt, 2.6 XHDR

   XHDR header [range|<message-id>]

would become

   XHDR-command = "XHDR" header [range / msg-id]

   range = article-number ["-" [article-number]]

   etc.

If this proposal is accepted I would like to offer my help to the
authors, either by producing the new syntax, or by proof reading, or
whatever.

--
Paul Overell                                        T U R N P I K E  Ltd