ietf-nntp Backfill

Jack De Winter jack at wildbear.on.ca
Wed Dec 18 09:29:57 PST 1996

At 04:01 PM 12/18/96 +0000, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
>Mark Sidell said:
>> Anyway, as far as I know, demon's is the only server that backfills.
>> But, perhaps Clive could provide more information.
>
>I am told that the Demon server no longer backfills; the cause of this
>behaviour has been fixed. I can't comment on the LISTGROUPS issue you
>mention.

I know one question of mine has always been:

if a server is supposed to be monotonically increasing and the base
is reset (say at the beginning of the new year as was done at my
university), should we make sure that we put wording into the spec
that all of the articles in any group that is reset must be renumbered?

Otherwise you will have: 1-X (new articles) and Y-N(old articles yet
to expire) and essentially will have a range of 1-N.

ideas?

regards,
Jack