ietf-nntp BCP for RFC977 server/RFC1036 interaction

Evan Champion evanc at synapse.net
Wed Dec 18 15:40:35 PST 1996

On 18 Dec 1996, Chris Lewis wrote:

> The title would be something along the lines of "Best Current
> Practises regarding Usenet traceability in an NNTP environment
> as it pertains to Usenet news article headers".  Which is quite
> a mouthful ;-)

I'd have to check, but that might just win the record for longest RFC
title :-)

In terms of a BCP I don't think one can do much better than this.

In terms of moving forward, there are a number of points I don't like,
mostly surrounding authentication and how an authenticated post is
presented.  But there are enough arguments in here as it is, and I think
having a BCP released is too useful to have slowed down or abandonned by
discussion of what's wrong with the way things are done today.  Let's
get agreement on what the BCP is first and then try to fix it :-)

Evan
--
Evan Champion            * Director, Network Operations
mailto:evanc at synapse.net * Directeur, Exploitation du reseau