ietf-nntp re: batch, streaming, Adding extensions?

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.servalan.com
Mon Aug 12 22:50:41 PDT 1996

In message <199608130359.WAA10785 at academ.com>you write:
>> > If you can point out two distinct publically available implementations
>> > that implement this, I'd be delighted.

Do the two distinct implementations have to be of both server and client sides?
Here are some URLs that may be helpful:

    ftp://ftp.math.psu.edu/pub/INN/inn1.4unoff4.tar.gz
       INN 1.4unoff4 release.  The relevant streaming code is in the
	"backends/innxmit.c" and "innd/nc.c" files, I believe.
    ftp://ftp.vix.com/pub/inn/innfeed/innfeed-0.8.5b.tar.gz
       innfeed, a multi-way news feeder program supporting MODE STREAM etc.

>>         DNEWS, INN, CNEWS
>> With DNEWS it's built in, with INN and CNEWS I understand
>> patches are available, I could be wrong about CNEWS.
>
>That means that the only package you know if that has this functionality
>built-in to the standard release is DNEWS. That seems to contradict your

Depends on whether you call the "unofficial" releases of INN "standard" or
not.  A quick check of one news server's logs shows that 9 out of its 10
peers connected with streaming mode today and are running unoff3 or unoff4;
that's pretty close to "standard" for me.

There was at one time a patch done by Wayne Davison to nntpd 1.5.xxx that
added, among other things, streaming mode support.  Don't know alas where
you can find it these days; most people who want the substantial performance
boost of streaming mode tend not to run C News/nntpd.

>By "publically available" I mean that either the source code is freely
>available, or there is extensive docuementation freely available on how the
>software works (configuration, protocols, internals).

Somewhere I think I've got a brief writeup by Jerry Aguirre of what the
relevant commands are (MODE STREAM, CHECK <msgid>, TAKETHIS <msgid>), and
what the possible numeric error codes are.  I'll see if I can dig it up.