SG: The League #4: Elaborations

Whistling in the Dark sabre at annotations.com
Thu Mar 27 09:00:02 PDT 2008

May 7, 1996
Boston, Massachusetts

      "You're not leaving because of me, are you?"
      Kid Solipsism looked at Mike Green. He rolled his eyes. "No,
Mike," he said. "Setting aside the incontrovertible fact that
anything you did would be a direct result of my own subconscious
mind directing your actions in what is, after all, a hallucination I
wholly created not once but twice, not even the illusionary actions
that have fueled the alleged adventures of the last several weeks
would cause my current course of action."
      Mike stared. "Um... I'm not sure I followed--"
      "No, I' not leaving because of you, Mike."
      "Oh. Good. Then... why? I mean, I'm sane again and Oanthet
free, you and Dani are finally full members of the team, Dianna's
going to stay -- we're at a high point. Why go?"
      Kid Solipsis considered. "We've seen the universe from the
outside now," he said. "I've met all but one of my siblings. We now
know it is conceivable that I could transcend, as Faith did. We've
learned I had a sister we all knew, and a second sister we know
nothing about. And I have chosen the delusion over reality, at least
until such time as I can leave it behind." He looked at the hero
with the perfect hair. "That's a lot to absorb. And it's the
beginning."
      "The... beginning?"
      "I'm beginning to understand what the universe is trying to
teach me. That will lead me to transcend the delusion. I need to
take time, to figure out how I feel about that. I need to consider
what this means. I need to figure out how I feel about Elizabeth,
how I feel about Faith. And...."
      "And Mandy?"
      The Kid nodded. "It's complicated. And that means I need to
think it over. We talked about it for some time."
      "I'll bet she *loved* that conversation."
      "I sometimes wonder why I decided she was such a good shot when
throwing books."
      "Heh. At least your girlfriend can't throw them at mach four."
Mike took a deep breath. This would be a touchy subject. "Hey,
Kid... isn't this being a little selfish?"
      "Hm?"
      "I mean... you're leaving. For years, Mandy wanted you to give
her super powers and you wouldn't--"
      "She doesn't have super powers."
      "My point is, you and her -- you finally got to a point where
she just wanted to be with *you,* not what you could do for her, and
now you're leaving. Isn't that selfish?"
      Kid Solipsism sighed. "Solipsism is innately selfish," he said.
"You all exist because I created you, for my own benefit. It
behooves me to act in my own interest. Otherwise, I dishonor the
illusionary pantomime you all do for my benefit."
      "Yeesh. Forget I ask."
      "I'm incapable of forgetting anything." He considered.
"Besides, I think you underestimate Mandy."
      "I do?"
      "Certainly. I decided she was a very special person. Very
resilient, emotionally. And of course she's intelligent. In fact,
I'd say she's one of the most intelligent of all the delusions I ever
conceived of."
      Upstairs, Mandy Harken lay on her bed, her unbreakable brip on
the bed next to her. She'd been crying, and had taken a break from
that.
      In her head, a gear shifted. Thoughts connected.
      Mandy blinked, and sat up. "Oh," she said.
      "Really?" Mike said. "Mandy's as smart as Andy Awesome or Lady
Awe Inspiring? That seems--"
      Kid Solipsism snorted. "What did I just say?" And of course,
he believed it.

January 6, 1998
Islandilai Primary Command

      The Astounding Salad Shooter made his way into the Command
Center. He had bad news. The Astounding Salad Shooter was one of the
ruling elite of the Awe Inspiring Force, but that didn't mean he
wanted to bring bad news to Lady Awe Inspiring. So he was in no rush
until he saw what kind of mood the leader was in.
      "--KIND OF INCOMPETENTS DO WE HAVE IN THE INDIAN CAMPAIGN!" the
radiant woman screamed. "*Damn* you, lo-brow! You swore to me your
forces were prepared."
      "Hey! Hey hey hey! It's not my fault! We were ready for the
U.L.A.! We were ready for the Allied Heroes. We were playing them
off each other! We would have won!"
      "Would have? *Would* have? Would you mind telling me just why
you did *not* win, worm?"
      "Fox, I don't know," lo-brow snapped. "Maybe because our
*brilliant* leader didn't predict that two of the Unimaginable
League Amoral's leaders would make a suicide run blowing themselves
and three quarters of their *own* forces up on Christmas Eve,
suddenly leaving us exposed on one flank and giving the Allies
nothing better to do than tear into us! And not only that, they
anticipated every counterattack you had us launch!'
      "Do you *dare* question my strategy?" Lady Awe Inspiring
demanded, her beautiful face dark with glorious rage.
      The Astounding Salad Shooter cleared his throat. "I think I
know how they did the second bit."
      The Lady whirled on the Astounding Salad Shooter. "*Do* you?
How? *Tell* me!"
      The Astounding Salad Shooter took a a deep breath. Deep inside,
he composed himself for death, just in case. "We found multiple
intrusions into our communications and IT networks," he said. "The
Allied Heroes have been intercepting all of our orders for weeks."
      There was a long, terrible silence.
      "I designed that system," the Lady said, coldly.
      "Yes, my Lady."
      "Who did this? Superuser?"
      "In part. We think he was the primary instigator and
implementor, but some of the techniques are... we've never seen
anything like it. It's not his. It's not Andy Awesome's. It's not
Qwintor's. Frankly, I don't know how we could have predicted--"
      "Get out," the Lady said, softly.
      "Ma'am, I--"
      "*GET OUT!*" she screamed, and her fellow AIF members fled.
      Far, far away, one of the Allied Heroes Bunkers had been
designated the Brain Trust. In the background, Smartman and Andy
Awesome were having a quiet conversation, while Superuser worked a
command console which he had interfaced with directly several times.
"Wups," he said with a grin. "Looks like someone finally noticed
us."
      "Gosh," Mandy said, tapping at her own console. "Our primary
intelligence feed, cut off? Whatever shall we do now?"
      "Goodness me, Mastermind," Superuser said. "I have no idea.
None. Ready to engage the security system feed?"
      "Been ready for weeks. I was beginning to think we wouldn't
have to use it."
      "Hit it." Superuser grinning.
      Mandy punched a button. Nine screens flared into life, showing
the inside of half of Islandilai, including the Lady's own command
center. Secondary feeds showed the command centers of half of the
Lady's remaining army. She smiled slowly. "How's this," she
muttered. "We manage to inspire any *awe* in you, bitch?"

                              THE LEAGUE
                              Episode #4
                             Elaborations
                                  by
                            Eric A. Burns
              unleashing the power of his animal spirit

Salem, Massachusetts

      Ellen and Tim got off the train, and walked up the platform. "I
can't believe we're in Salem," Ellen said. "I can just *feel* the
psychic activity all around us!"
      "Yeah, well -- I can't believe we got out of Boston," Tim said.
"Maybe we should move up here, get away from all the weirdness and
crime."
      "We should seek out a coven, and have them cast the tarot runes
to divine our future!"
      "I thought tarot cards and runes were different...." he trailed
off , looking around. "Is that... mist... glowing green?"
      "It is the prana of life, filling our... um... actually, I'm
not sure that isn't radon gas."
      "Radon gas is invisible."
      "Are you sure?"
      "Um... I'm a building inspector?"
      "Yes but--"
      The gas coalesced into a green spectral form -- an ancient
sailor, glowing green and spreading before them. "AVAST!" he cried
with a voice echoing with a thousand watery graves.
      Ellen and Tim freaked.
      "NOW YE'VE AWAKENED THE SPIRITS OF THE DEAD!" he cried. "THE
BANSHEES WAIL AN' THE DESPERATE CAUL TORN FROM THE VISAGE O'THE
WORLD! FEEL ALL SURROUND AND COMPOUND AND KNOW YER VERY SOUL'S
IMPERIL'D!" The ghost sailor swept off his hat, holding it upended
towards the pair.
      There was a long pause, after the screaming had died down.
      The ghost pirate cleared his throat, shaking the hat a little.
      "Excuse me... are you expecting us to tip you?" Tim asked.
      "WELL, AYE. A'COURSE. WHAT'D YE EXPECT? A FREE SHOW?"
      "Show?"
      "WELL A'COURSE IT'S A SHOW? PEOPLE COME TO SALEM? THEY WANT
WITCHES AND GHOSTS AND SPIRITS AN' -- OH FER CHRIST'S SAKE, JUST
GI'ME A DOLLAR!"
      "What? *No.* Look, you practically scared me into wetting my
pants!"
      "AYE! THAT'S WHY YE TIP ME!"
      There was a hideous cackle, and a beautiful, seductive pale
woman swept up, black smoke surrounding her, her pale skin luminous,
her lips blood red. "Now the witching hour comes--"
      "GI'IT UP, BERTHA!" the ghost wailed petulantly. "THEY'RE NOT
TIPPING."
      The witch blinked. "You're kidding me," she said. "I wasted a
whole smoke opening on this?"
      "It was very nice," Ellen said, embarrassed. "But I don't have
any change or loose bills and--"
      "Are you *all* like this here?" Tim demanded.
      "WELL A'COURSE!" the ghost wailed. "THE CHAMBER A'COMMERCE HAS
RECRUITED THE FORCES BEYOND KEN FOR YEARS NOW! YE PEOPLE DEMAND IT!"
      "Oh, stop bothering, Horace," the witch said. "Come on. Let's
get a burger and hang out by the statue of Samantha from Bewitched.
That's always good for a few bucks.
      "YE DON'T FIND THE STATUES IN POOR TASTE, WHAT WI'IT DEMEANIN'
YER VERY RELIGION?"
      "Oh please. Putting up statues to *witches* and we're supposed
to be demeaned? I think we need Glinda the Good Witch and Witch
Hazel from Looney Tunes up on the opposite side of the square...."
her voice trailed off as the pair walked away.
      Ellen watched them go. "Well... um... maybe we should hit an
ATM--"
      "I wanted to go to Portsmouth and drink tea," Tim said.
      With a sudden clap, a spectral dog and a pale female spirit in
tatters appeared, the woman wailing a banshee wail.
      "We don't have any money!" Tim shouted.
      The banshee stopped, snorted, and started drifting. "C'mon
Toby."
      Toby the dog followed, snorting in disgust.
      Not far away, a helicopter landed on a pad. "You sure you're
going to be all right," the pilot asked his passenger. "There are
strange things out there, and they get pissed off it you just give
them singles."
      "I'll be fine," Elizabeth said. "They consider me a local. I'll
call when I'm ready to go back.

                            * * * * * *

      "What are you *doing* here, Kirby?" Mandy was exasperated,
though not really angry.
      "You keep going away, and once I noticed that you went to the
Load Pan Bay but you never actually came out the doors, so I got
curious."
      "How'd you know I didn't leave the elevator?"
      Kirby rolled his eyes. "You get in the elevator at the same
time *every* day.  And one day I was down there -- I was playing
Deathmatch with Trist an' Sammy -- and I noticed that it was that
time so I kept an' eye out so I waited because I didn't want you
coming out and yelling at Trist or Sammy but not me 'cause I was
stealthed and you didn't come out so I started to watch and made
sure you really did get in the elevator and you did three days so
the next two days I watched below and you never came out, so I
decided to follow you."
      "...did you," Mandy said.
      "Uh-huh, and you went down a *hole.* That was yesterday. Today
I decided to jump after you, and here you are, and you're in the
*League.*"
      "...Ops," Hazard said, her voice pained. "What exactly are we
going to do with him?"
      Mandy looked at the nine year old. "I have no idea," she said,
quietly. "Kirby--"
      Kirby rolled his eyes. "I know, I know," he said. "My mother
hates the League 'cause she's *like* that, an' half the people up
there are weird about it, which is dumb because you guys are all
*heroes,* and that's really cool! So I won't tell anyone you're
really based out of our own basement!" He looked around. "Why do we
have a basement down here, anyway?"
      "Kirby, this is really important," Mandy said. "If your mother
or other people found out--"
      "I get it, Aunt Mandy." Kirby was serious now, turning to look
at her. "And don't worry. Mom can only read my actual thoughts if I
let her in, and then only the surface. She can't sense me at all if
I blank out or stealth. I won't tell on you." He looked around,
grinning. "So where's Trashman?"
      Capacitor looked at his sister, then at Mandy. "Things just got
more complicated, didn't they?"
      "Ohhh yes."

April 19, 1997
Austin, Texas

      There were more than a few orderlies and support staff who
stared at Momentum as she walked into the facility. It had not been
that long since the thief had been put on an 'active probation,'
assigned to the Adjusted League Unimpeachable Academy. More than a
few people wondered if it was all some kind of trick. Others
wondered if the beautiful brown haired girl would release a swimsuit
calendar sometime soon. Many people are, in the end, simple in their
needs and thoughts.
      But, most of the people who worked at the Larches were more
concerned about what the thief might do than what she'd look like in
a bikini. Especially given the patients.
      It was only after they realized who the blond woman in the red
and white bodysuit, with the white cross logo over her heart was
that they relaxed. Momentum was a known criminal, but Healer was a
legend.
      "You'll get her out of here?" Momentum asked, softly."
      "That's why we're here. Though it seems like a nice facility."
      Momentum shivered. "You know what used to be around the corner?
The Texas School for Defectives."
      "That was the turn of the century, Alice." Healer smiled, just
a touch. "They've gotten better."
      "I know... it's why I didn't fight her being in here but..."
      "While she's been here, she's been away from your mother,
Alice." Healer rested a hand on Momentum's shoulder. It was a credit
to the work that Healer had already done with Alice that Momentum no
longer shrunk away when the telepath touched her. "You did right by
her. Now it's time to see if we can do more."
      Momentum nodded. "Let's go."
      They walked into an inner room. The walls were painted bright
colors in here, with lots of toys and activity games. It was like a
Kindergarten, almost, only oversized. And today, there was only one
person there. She was a pretty girl, her face slughtly angular, with
high cheekbones and dark brown hair. Her emerald eyes were wide. She
was maybe seventeen, and she wore a pink tee shirt decorated with a
unicorn and sparkles.
      Healer paused, remembering what Alice had told her about her
sister. *She's... slow,* the thief had said. It had been a
significant admission on her part.
      "Alice!" the girl said, bouncing, her face lighting up. "You
came back!"
      "'Course I came back, Susan." Momentum's face softened, and she
took her sister's hand. "Have you been a good girl for all the
doctors?"
      The seventeen year old nodded, her movements broad --
unrestrained. "Uh-huh! We've been playing counting games! I like
counting! Would you like to hear me count?"
      "You bet, but I want to introduce you to a friend of mine,
first." Momentum leaned forward. "She's a *superhero.*"
      Susan's eyes got wide. "Really?"" she whispered.
      "Really. Wanna meet her?"
      "Yes!"
      Momentum grinned. "Susan, this is Healer. She's a superhero."
      Susan bit her lip. "H'lo, Miss Healer," she said, shy.
      Healer smiled warmly. "Hello, Susan. I'm very, very glad to
meet you."
      That got a larger smile from the seventeen year old. "Really?"
      "Really. I hope we can be good friends."

Salem, Massachusetts

      Elizabeth stepped carefully onto the Green. There was a hint of
mist near the ground even as the sun set, and Will O'Wisps were
floating along the nearby trees. Getting closer, Elizabeth could see
the flitting of small fey creatures -- the kind that James Barrie
once claimed were born of the laughter of children. Not far away, a
twenty-eight year woman stood. She was beautiful, slender with a
model's build. Her dark brown hair was pulled back into a ponytail,
showing the slight point to her ears as she watched the feykind
dance.
      "They're amazing," Elizabeth said softly.
      "They're showing off," the woman said. "They can tell you're
not a tourist, and they sense you're a friend of mine. So they want
to make a good impression on you."
      "They're succeeding."
      "It's hardly surprising. As the barriers between the halfworlds
weaken in Salem, we see more and more of these. It's why I like this
field -- the fey are less likely to busk for money than the ghosts
or the arcana -- and when you get into actual witches, there's no
telling what you'll get."
      "I believe it." Elizabeth turned towards the girl. "Hello,
Susan."
      Susan turned to face Elizabeth. "Hello, Lil."
      The pair embraced.
      "It's so good to see you," Susan whispered.
      "I know, Suz-i-q. I know."
      Susan giggled. "You haven't called me that for a long time."
      "It seemed appropriate." They separated. "But... I'm not here
for a social visit."
      "I know."
      Elizabeth blinked. "You know?"
      "Come on. I got us reservations at Strega."
      "You got us reservations? When?"
      "Six days ago." Susan smiled an enigmatic smile, darting away.
      Elizabeth shook her head and followed.

                            * * * * * *

      Capacitor drummed his fingers on the console. Ops and Ordinal
were in the corner, having a spirited debate. Reflects was sitting
on the other side, Kirby on her lap. Hazard and Parvenu were sharing
the other console chair.
      "I mean it," Kirby said. "Where's Trashman."
      "We don't exactly tell him where to show up, little guy,"
Capacitor said. "Dude shows up when he wants or when we need him."
      "So he *is* a member of the team?" Kirby said, excitedly.
      "I wouldn't go that far," Hazard said. "He helps us, and if he
*wanted* to be a member we'd take him -- oh man would we--"
      "He does his own thing," Reflects cut in. "He spends a lot of
his time back in Dark City, and I guess he shows up in other places
too. They say he's got access to some of the vestiges of the old
Xolchaportation Network, so--"
      "That's dumb," Capacitor said. "The X-Port network needed JOEL
or MIKE to run it. Without them--"
      "Who's to say he doesn't have JOEL or MIKE or one of the old
bots working with him?" Reflects snapped. "You're always so sure
you're right--"
      "I'm not always right -- I'm just right *now.* If you'd paid
*any* attention in xenotechnology you'd know--"
      "Oh! Oh, I'm sorry. I got an *87* in xenotech. I'm sorry I
didn't ace all my classes the way you did! I guess that makes you
the better superhero, huh?"
      "Hey, I didn't say that! Even though it's true--"
      "True? If you were such a good hero, you'd actually *show up*
when we call in for help! I don't even know why you're *on* this
team--"
      "Oh, I'm *sorry,* Maria. I didn't *inherit* a quarter ton of
money out of nowhere! I had to get a real--"
      "It wasn't out of nowhere! My oldest friend died!"
      "She's sitting right over there, and I don't even remember--"
      "No one does but me! That doesn't---"
      Kirby slid off of Reflects's lap and got out of their line of
fire. Hazard nodded him over and she, Incandescence and Parvenu
brought him to the other side of the room.
      "Do they hate each other?" Kirby asked.
      "That's a *very* good question," Hazard said.
      "What did they mean about her best friend?" Kirby asked.
"Someone died?"
      "Well, yeah," Incandescence said. "I did."
      Kirby cocked his head. "You look pretty alive to me. Hubba
hubba."
      There was a pause.
      "Hubba hubba?" Parvenu asked, finally.
      Kirby shrugged. "It's what they'd say on *the Suite Life of
Zack and Cody.*"
      Hazard rolled her eyes. "The Disney Channel has much to answer
for."
      "Hey. Disney was good to me," Incandescence said.
      "Um... yeah," Parvenu said, shifting slightly, a little
uncomfortable.
      "Is anyone going to explain what's going on?" Kirby asked.
      "Well, here's the thing," Incandescence said. "Reflects and I
gained our powers at the same time -- she got the power to deflect
damage away from herself, though for a long time she couldn't
control it. And I was turned into fire which later turned into
Hellfire."
      Kirby nodded. "Okay?"
      Hazard chuckled. "Okay? That doesn't seem weird to you?"
      Kirby shrugged. "My godmother is Trudy Galloway."
      "Point. Anyway, we found out that I was actually killed in the
accident -- so I was less a hellfire woman, and more a hellfire
ghost. And I had a chance to ascend to Heaven. Only it was the wrong
Heaven, and there was a clerical error, and then I had the chance to
come back, only by then history had been rewritten and my life was
being occupied by someone else."
      Kirby cocked his head. "Meaning?"
      There was a sudden sharp ping at the console. "I'll tell you
later," Incandescence said, as the heroes darted over to see what was
going on."
      Ops was already punching keys. "Major incursion of the Trudis
at the Museum of Fine Arts."
      "Oh Christ, not the Trudis," Parvenu said. "I hate the Trudis."
      "Hate them on your own time," Ops said. "I'm marking...
dozens." She shook her head. "Right. Full team. Sync your L-Phones."
      The heroes pulled out their L-Phones, punching their
touchscreens. "All green," Ordinal said. "Who has the star?"
      "Parvenu," Ops said. "He's got the best resistances."
      "I do? Do you remember what happened the last time we fought
Trudis?" the mystic corpse asked.
      "I remember that I spent two weeks wearing day glo bustiers to
bed," Hazard said, moving into position with the rest of the team.
"You weren't complaining."
      "Hey, bustiers are their own reward. Ready?"
      "Ready," the team said, having formed a circle, with Ordinal
and Parvenu in the middle.
      "Do it, Trans," Parvenu said. "Ops, cover us."
      "On it," Ops said. "You're clear."
      With a blur of movement, Ordinal focused. The team disappeared
in a bright blue flash of Cherenkov radiation, even as Ops turned to
track them.
      "Is that them on the museum floorplan?" Kirby asked.
      "Oh yeah," Ops said. "Trans is *precise.*"
      "Okay, Aunt Mandy."
      "Call me Ops," she murmured. "Down here, anyway."
      "Okay, Aunt Ops."
      Ops glanced at the nine year old, who giggled. "You understand
we're going to have to figure out what to do with you, Kirby."
      "Yeah, but not right now." He leaned back in his chair.
      Ops shook her head. "At least we've delayed your Mother finding
a leader for Lochaber. One crisis at a time."
      "You haven't delayed her."
      Ops blinked, looking back. "What?"
      Kirby shrugged.  "Mom doesn't delay, she diverts. She probably
went and talked to Mister Davis, at least from what you said before.
Mister Davis turned her down. She talked to Momma Alice after,
'cause she always talks to Momma Alice, and they probably joked
around and then Mom got a brilliant idea, because Momma Alice brings
that out in her. By now she's probably already pitching to someone
else."
      Ops stared at Kirby.
      "Targets!" came across the console's speaker.
      Ops shook her head, turning to her work. "I hope you're wrong."
      Kirby signed. "I'm never wrong. I'm the son of Trashman and
Healer. You're lucky I just know when to keep my mouth shut."

                            * * * * * *

      "Double sweet iced tea," the waitress said, setting the glass
in front of Elizabeth, "and one extra tall chocolate milk."
      "Thanks," Susan said, smiling broadly.
      "No problem." The waitress grinned. "I *love* chocolate milk."
      "It's my number one vice," Susan said with a smile.
      "Are you ready to order?"
      "I think so," Elizabeth said. "I'll have the petit filet,
medium rare?"
      "Very good. Dressing for your salad?"
      "Blue cheese?'
      "Of course. That comes with mashed potatoes, or you can have a
baked potato if you'd rather?"
      "Mash 'em." Elizabeth grinned. "And I'd like a glass of the
house Shiraz with my meal?"
      "Excellent And for you?"
      "The petit antipasto, please."
      "Very good." She smiled. "I'll have some bread for you in just
a moment."
      Susan smiled as the waitress left, tapping the top of her
chocolate milk glass twice with her right index and middle fingers
pressed together. She picked the glass up and took a deep sip.
      "Some things never change," Elizabeth said, smiling.
      Susan smacked her lips, setting the glass down. It still seemed
to be completely full. "When it comes to chocolate milk, I have no
need to change, Lil." Her smile receded but didn't vanish. "So."
      "So." Elizabeth took a drink of her iced tea. "Do you have any
questions about Lochaber?"
      Susan shook her head. "It made sense, the way you explained it.
But you haven't said what my involvement would be. Are you asking me
to join?"
      "Not quite." Elizabeth took a deep breath. "We need a leader,
Susan. Someone who the cameras could love -- someone strong and
powerful but also wise."
      Susan arched an eyebrow. "Go on?"
      "Our first choice was Rip Davis. That's where I just came
from."
      "And he said no? He didn't want to clean up the streets of
Boston?"
      "Susan... Lochaber's official mission is retaking Boston's
streets, but unofficially...."
      "Unofficially, Lochaber's going to take down the League," Susan
said. She didn't sound surprised.
      "Right."
      Susan nodded. "Of course he turned you down. Rip's loyal, Lil.
He's loyal to his friends, to Kid Electron, to his ex-girlfriend, to
his sister. There's no way he'd do anything against them."
      "I was hoping he'd be loyal to what the A.L.U. used to stand
for first and foremost," Elizabeth said. "And ultimately, that was
professionalism and the rule of law, not vigilantism."
      Susan shrugged. "That's always a matter of interpretation. You
had to know he'd turn you down."
      "Yeah," Elizabeth said. "But the board came up with him as a
first choice, and I had to admit he'd have been good."
      "So who was their second choice?"
      "Your sister."
      Susan nodded. "Who can't do it, of course." She smirked. "I
wasn't on their list at all, was I?"
      "We haven't exactly advertised your abilities, Susan."
      "I know." Her smile faded. "Does Alice know you're here?"
      Elizabeth looked down.
      Susan nodded. "I didn't think so. That's not like you, Lil."
      "Alice would have talked me out of seeing you, Susan. And
you're perfect. You're powerful, you're smart, you can be a leader,
you can keep care of your own, you know the League members, and--"
      "And dress me in the right clothing and the television will
love me." Susan smiled a bit more.
      Elizabeth flushed, "Well, yes."
      Susan nodded. "Of course."
      "Well, anyway, I wanted to make my pitch--"
      "I said 'of course,' Elizabeth. I'll do it."
      Elizabeth blinked. "That's it?"
      "That's it."
      "You're sure? You went to the Academy with several of them too.
And Roger, Maria and Cairi were--"
      Susan smiled slightly. "Lil, I said that Rip would never agree
to this, because his first loyalty would be to them, right?"
      "Right?"
      "My first loyalty is to you. I owe you everything, Lil. Alice
owes you everything. I love you. Is this something you want?"
      Elizabeth took a deep breath. Such an innocuous question. *Is
this something you want.*
      "Yes," Elizabeth said softly.
      Susan nodded. "Then I'll do it. I'll train Lochaber. I'll lead
them. We'll retake the Boston streets. And we'll take the League
down."
      "Just like that?"
      Susan took another long sip of chocolate milk, the glass
remaining ever full. "Just like that."

                            * * * * * *

      Parvenu focused, the mystic energies flowing through his
fingers, wrapping around his teammates one by one. Guards and wards
against the potent mental powers and disorientation that was the
Trudis' stock in trade. Means of keeping their thoughts clear. It
wouldn't make them invulnerable, but it would help.
      Next to him, Ordinal moved in a smooth kata, bending and
warping time and space, shifting the League's frames of reference.
Making their reactions seem faster, setting the Trudis up to seem
slow by comparison.
      Above them both, Incandescence burned, her divine flames
cascading down from her wings, wrapping around the heroes, blessing
them and helping shield them.
      Capacitor, Hazard, Reflects and Iceweaver just looked
impatient. In the next room, the first pack of Trudis were
organizing.
      "Ready?" Parvenu murmured.
      "Ready," the echo came back.
      He took a deep breath. He had the Star, which meant he'd been
designated field leader for this mission. "Right -- Reflects, get in
there and get their attention. Iceweaver, you and I follow up and
lock them down. Hazard and Capacitor nail them with alpha strikes,
and everyone else bat cleanup. We go?"
      "We go," Ordinal said, winking. "Let's hurt some psychos."
      "Go!" he snapped, and Reflects leapt forward. Her initial push
gave her momentum, and her feet sparked in silver light where they
touched the floor, creating a near frictionless surface that let her
sweep in faster than a Rollerblader. She screamed as she went in,
bowling through three Trudis as she went by.
      "Interference!" a Trudi shouted. She wore a red bustier and
camo pants, the macrame weave through her hair and over her face
sizzling with energy -- the macreme seemed to be the key to the
power of the Trudis, connecting them and making them all stronger.
      "Foolishness," a second Trudi, this one in seductive blue,
purred as she whirled and let fly with a series of knife
projections. The energies were psionic in origin but very physical
in nature, which is why Reflects was the first one in -- she was
essentially indestructible when her mirror force was active, and it
was active by default.
      "*Fun!*" a third Trudi, this one in a yellow silk leotard and a
rough canvas skirt hissed. "Get 'em, boys!"
      The boys referred to four Trudi drones -- men whose heads were
wrapped in macramé, making them stronger and more dangerous, their
muscles reinforced with telekinetic power, even as their wills were
slaved to the Trudi collective. They surged forward, throwing
punches that deflected easily off Reflects's mirror force even as
she tagged one with a punch of mirrored power that blasted him back.
The Trudis surrounding, psionic and physical energy converging, her
physical defenses untouched but Parvenu's mental wards straining--
      "Go!" Parvenu shouted, flying into the room even as Iceweaver
skated in on thin ice streams not unlike Reflects's mirror skating.
Her hands blurred into mist and white energy, englobing four of them
in frozen prisons even as Parvenu worked a spell of bedazzlement and
confusion. The Trudis would normally have little trouble deflecting
his spells and keeping their footing, but with Reflects distracting
them they were easy prey.
      With a scream, Hazard blasted into the room, laying down
nuclear fire that blasted three drones to one side. A Trudi snarled,
tendrils of darkness swarming over Reflects, only to scream as two
hundred and fifty thousand volts of electricity took her out of the
fight, courtesy of Capacitor. Incandescence struck at one with a
bolt of blessed flame, even as Ordinal threw herself into a circle
kick that smacked a Trudi in the jaw fro across the room. Parvenu
grinned as the Trudis and their drones went down. "Room clear," he
shouted. "Secure the civilians and check for--"
      A wave of mental energy swarmed over him, a kalediscope of
thoughts and base desires swaming his mind. "Patrol!" he heard
Iceweaver call even as Parvenu dropped to the floor, holding his
head and trying to focus....
      "Back off, *bitch,*" Hazard snarled, nuclear fire surging out
of her hands into the camouflage ball-gowned Trudi who'd ensorcelled
Parvenu. The woman screamed even as Hazard blasted herself into the
air, landing next to her husband. "Snap out of it," she said,
shaking his shoulders. "We need your brain on our side."
      "Why do they always go after *me?*" Parvenu moaned, squeezing
Hazard briefly. He shook his head, trying to clear it, noting
Capacitor and Iceweaver were taking down the other patrolling
Trudis.
      "They have taste," Hazard said, hooking her fingers into one of
the fallen Trudi's bustier and hauling the villain up, staring her
in the eye. "What the Hell do you people want here?" she snarled.
      "You think you're so tough," the beaten Trudi sneered. "But
when we assume control of the Mask of Osiris, the potent power of
Trudi will swarm from our leaders and invade the city house by
house! All will become one with the knots of potency!"
      "Yeah, yeah. We'll all become potholders and shawls. Gotcha."
She detonated a microburst that knocked the Trudi out. "Get all
that, lovertodd?"
      "Got it," Parvenu said, his mind clearing. "Osiris. The
Egyptian exhibit. Two exhibit halls over."
      "We have a problem," Ordinal said. "I'm sensing energy
distortions and signatures in the hall between us and the Egyptian
exhibit."
      "How many?"
      "One hundred and nineteen."
      Capacitor blinked. "Wait, there are a *hundred and nineteen*
Trudis in the next hall? And they're not even the ones targeting the
real exhibit?"
      "So it would seem."
      Parvenu rubbed his eyes. "It's going to be a long day, isn't
it?"

IS IT GOING TO BE A LONG DAY?

WAS IT A LONG YESTERDAY?

WILL IT BE A LONG TOMORROW?

WILL SUSAN BE A GOOD LEADER OF LOCHABER?

WHAT ARE HER POWERS, ANYHOW?

CAN CHOCOLATE MILK REALLY BE USED TO FIGHT CRIME?

WHY IS ELIZABETH BEING SUCH A DOINK?

WHAT WILL THE LEAGUE DO WITH KIRBY?

SERIOUSLY -- MACRAME?

More answers are going to be more answers, and it's the action
packed pages of Superguy that are going to hold them.