SG: WCD #46: Meditations On A Void (Part One of Three)

Frobozz frobozz at eyrie.org
Fri Feb 8 07:10:23 PST 2008

This is the mission log of squad leader John M Clark, currently in command
of the Aurora powered armor squadron furthest from Canada that we've ever
been (and we've been to New England, for cripe's sake). Even Xenora wasn't
this far removed from the big blue marble we all call home; and quite
frankly, this trip has given me a new perspective on what Doyle wants to
accomplish by taking humanity into space. It gives you a totally new
perspective on your life to realize that everything that seemed so
important and immediate to you is really just a tiny speck of dust in the
midst of a great big room filled with specs of dust. And staring out the
porthole into the naked face of God every day, it changes things. On Earth
when you stare up at the stars, it's like they're a great big blanket that
covers the Earth, wrapping it up and keeping it warm just like a babe in
swaddling clothes. Even if intellectually you know the world's just a tiny
part of the cosmos, the perspective still puts you at the centre of
everything. In space though, it's totally different. There you stare out
into the void and suddenly come to the profound realization that you're at
the centre of nothing except for your home, in the Buddhist sense. That's
when you find that you have three choices: you can freak out that you're
no longer even close to being the most important thing in the universe;
you can ignore space and its many lonely wonders; or you can accept how
small you are and make peace with the fact that even if you're no bigger
than a speck, you're still part of this wonder that we call space.
Frankly, I'm not sure whether I've chosen option number one or option
number three, but there's no way in Hell(tm) that I'm ever going to pick
door number two.

I'm updating my mission log after ignoring it for so long because I'm
trying to work out a few things that're whanging around inside my head.
I've come to realize that space is terrible for our mission: up here, you
come to so many profound realizations (or at least think you do) that you
start to drift out of the mindset you need to get the job done. I find
myself sometimes wondering why our enemies don't stare out into the
blackness of space and lay down their arms; and while I think that they're
insane (or more likely, I'm being too human-centric) not to appreciate the
wonders that surround them, I have to remind myself that me thinking this
isn't going to change the fact that we're facing down well-armed alien
terrorists and I have to put the still beauty of the void behind me once
we come face-to-face.

We're about 2 days from planetfall; and things are likely going to get as
hairy as Wolfman Jack the moment we're spotted inbound. But we've run
through as many drills as we can fit in... and I think my troops are ready
to do their part.

I'm pretty sure that Spectrum is going to mesh just fine with the rest of
us; Hell(tm), he could teach my troops a thing or two about strategy and
tactics. British Airwave seems like a stand up fellow as well. Though I've
been told he's going to be running C&C for this mission, so he won't be
alongside us. But frankly I think having a cultured British voice on the
other end of the commo-net is going to have a calming effect on the
troops, and hey, that's just a bonus, right? The Ninja seems like he's
going to acquit himself fine, though he's a bit erratic when it comes to
being a team player with the group. I'm a touch worried about a romantic
attachment that he's formed within the ranks; but we'll see if he lets
that affect his performance or not. I'm hoping for 'not', as there's no
room for distractions outside the squad.

The two I worry most about are the spider man and the cartoon. I'm
honestly not sure that Trap-Door Spider man has the self-control and
discipline we need in this battle, but Spectrum vouches for him, so we'll
give this a try. I'd be lying if I said he didn't scare the crap out of
me, but I've done some soul-searching and I'm pretty sure that this fear
isn't poisoning my professional judgements of the guy.

And then there's Foxy. Foxy is a liability in every sense of the word.
She's undisciplined, random and has an adverse effect on the troops around
her. I've tried to broach this matter with Spectrum a few times, but in
the end I'm going to have to be happy with his answer of 'I'll take care
of things'. I suppose that's going to have to be enough for me. Percy
Sledge had the right of things.

So here we are, about to wade into battle with a world full of snakes
who've been bombing parts of Earth for no reason that we can fathom. We've
trained our mixed bag of troops as rigorously as we could in the time
we've had, but Aurora and the Defenders have yet to really gel as a
unified fighting force. I've seen that gelling come in the midst of battle
before and I hope and pray that it happens in this one. They say that
sometimes you need less than you think you do. I really hope that the
proverbial 'they' are right.

PS - If I don't make it back, please release personal document
karen_my_love.txt to Karen Moire of Mythos. In addition, please reference
my last will and testament which is on file with Aurora.

***

WEST COAST DEFENDERS #46: Meditations On A Void

Costarring Aurora and the West Coast Defenders

By Chris Angelini and Lawrence Brown (the A to B of Authorial Fusions)

Captain Tonk paced slowly and deliberately as she regarded the half-dozen
idiots standing at attention on the opposite side of the table. "Right.
Who wants to start first?"

Lawrence Brown, aka Spectrum, stepped forward, his right eyelid already
swollen with the obvious results of a solid black eye. Beside him, Foxy
stared at the ground, praying that a random portable hole would manifest
itself under her and yank her through the floor to some other place, any
place. "Captain, technically I threw the first punch. My behavior was
unacceptable and I take responsibility for the incident."

"You can scupper that bilge right now Mister. I will decide whose behavior
was what, and make my own decisions as to who is responsible. Are you that
quick to be thrown under the bus?" Before he could reply, she snapped off
a swig from a Bloody Mary, and jabbed a finger at one of the ship's cooks,
a younger man, who face was as ashen as the bottom of a crematorium.
"What's' your story, cookie?"

"Can I get to speak with my solicitor before I continue?" The man looked
nervously about, seeing only the stony expressions of Clark, Tonk, and
Randall.

"Your...lawyer...?" Tonk measured the words, as if she was tasked with
dissecting a week old roadkill corpse. She vaulted the table, landing
directly in front of the cook without spilling a drop of her beverage. The
young man stepped back an inch as she paused, then she leaned back against
the table edge. "Let me explain to you what I am doing, and I will use
small words, so you can understand me clearly." She gestured to the pair
behind her. "This is not a formal proceeding. If it was, you would have a
lawyer, you could meet with him, and then after he had explained to you
what was happening, he would offer you a choice from a lovely assortment
of blindfolds before you would be then led to a firing squad!" She paused
and regarded the four crewmembers, all looking very much worse than
Spectrum by comparison, and Foxy, who seemed to be entirely undamaged,
albeit much more subdued than usually appeared.

"This is not a court-martial. I loathe them, for reasons you can more than
likely figure out on your own. This is a simple meeting to find out what
happened. I have carte blanche to choose what happens next. If any of you
don't like that, I will be happy to drop you off and pick you up on our
way back from the Nintan planet, assuming that we do return."

"It's that thrice-dammed cartoon fox!" Another man, this one working the
supply management, shook a fist at at the animated vixen as he spoke. "I
don't want that freak mucking about in our heads! Remember what happened
the last time we encountered cartoons!"

Another crewmember muttered something under his breath, his arm in a
sling.

Foxy wilted, and Spectrum balled a fist. "You want me to start on the
other 214 bones?"

"That's enough!" Tonk growled.

Foxy raised a hand, "Can I explain...."

"Wait." Tonk cut her off with a curt wave. "What I want to know is what
would possess my crew to try and lure someone out of her compartment,
physically jump her, and then try to space her, without contacting me,
without talking to someone in authority, without getting totally blind
drunk beforehand so that an excuse would be available."

"Spaced?" Randall wiggled his goatee in consternation. "Are you
saying...?"

"Yeah. Ejected like so much space trash." Spectrum said.

Tonk didn't have to turn around and look at British Airwave to know that
the icy stare he had for the crewmembers was dropping so rapidly that it
would soon freeze Everclear. "That's your story, Spectrum. I want to hear
their side now."

"Cap'n, please," a large man rumbled. "We had tah do something before dey
chaos destroyed us. Ah mean, damn, even Clark's people said stuff be goin'
down when we fought off th' boardin' parties. We thought dat if we either
could get her off the ship or lock her up, it would keep her from
sabotaging dey mission."

Cookie chimed in, "So we thought, maybe we could scare her and get her to
leave us alone, or just stop. Or..."

An older, grizzled man, with an old scar running along the edge of his
chin and teeth that recently had gone missing, continued. "Tho, I went to
her cabin and told her there wath an important meeting on C deck and I
wath to escort her there."

"And when she came down the access way, I whacked her on the head with my
skillet, and bada-bing she was out like a light, chirping birds an stars and
  all."

Spectrum interrupted. "I was on my way back to our cabin, when I barely
caught sight of Foxy's tail as she went down a far hallway. I followed
her, but I lost sight of them for a bit. I heard a loud ka-thwang like a
metal pan being hit, and when I finally caught up with them, they were
carrying her to an escape pod. Oop-stoop over there jumped me and I broke
his hold, and his arm. The big guy clouted me," he pointed to his shiner,
"and that's when I really lost it."

"We were not going to space her. We were going to lock her up in an escape
pod so that she'd be safe, and everyone would be safe from her. "

"An if somethin' bad went down while she wasn't awake, dah emergency pod
ejection would get her clear and safe..."

"Excuse me but who the Hell(tm) gave you the go-ahead to pull this
shanghai?" Tonk stared at the men. "I've heard enough. Consider yourself
all on restriction, and you will forfeit your pay for the next three
months. You are confined to quarters, and will not leave those quarters
for any reason other than to fulfill your duty schedule or to man your
battle-stations. I would have Clark post a watch, but we are already
stretched too thin with real problems, instead of this utter nonsense. Let
me just say that this is the last time I better hear of any kind of ruckus
involving Foxy, Spectrum, or any other guest aboard my ship. Because if I
hear about something like this again, I might be inclined to leave you to
Spectrum's tender mercies. He may not be super-powered any more, but he
appears to be quite capable and sufficiently motivated to make you all
give up eating solid foods. British Airwave will escort you to your
quarters and then let us know when every good sailor boy has gone to bed."

"But..." Randall began.

"You are dismissed, sir! Report back once these four are in their
quarters."

As soon as everyone, other than Tonk, Spectrum, Foxy, and Clark had left,
Tonk wearily sat back in her chair, and popped open a fresh can of
red-bull and vodka. "Take a seat people. I think we need to have a talk,
young lady. Anyone else want a drink?"

"That's--all you are going to do?" Spectrum stammered.

"Yup."

"They assaulted her, and fought me, and you aren't going court-martial
them?"

"Nope."

"May I ask why?"

"Nope." She downed the first can, and fished out a second.

"This is bullshit." Spectrum grumbled. "OW!" An empty red bull can caromed
off his head.

"No, this is us doing what we can with a very dangerous situation, light
years away from any legal jurisdiction, and as captain I can do whatever I
damn well please, because if we don't make it back, all this is gonna be
moot. You know, I know, and Foxy knows, that physical attacks don't do any
real damage to her. I could hit her with a Chevy Impala and she would be
none the worse for the experience."

"It'd still hurt some." Foxy whispered.

"Yes, but it won't kill you. Unfortunately your newfound psi power comes
with no such guarantee. I have verified reports of people passionately
kissing strangers; of people doing the conga line and generally being
silly; of trained soldiers breaking ranks to huddle protectively around
you. That kind of distraction during a firefight -will- get people killed,
and I don't think you're prepared to deal with that reality. Foxy, you are
confined to quarters for the remainder of this voyage, or until Doc Sloan
tells me you can be trusted to rein in your powers. I have not made up my
mind about what will happen when we reach the Nintan planet, but I'm
inclined to defer to Mister Clark and leave the decision up to him.

"Spectrum, I told you that I hold you responsible for your team's actions.
I don't know if this is you in denial about what's going on, or you just
trying to ignore the problem and just hope it sorts itself out. I am very
concerned that you have no clue about how to deal with this, so if you are
not going to keep your people in line, I will take care of the problem."

"It's not his fault!" Foxy shouted through tears as she rose to leave.

"SIDDDOWN!" Tonk's voice cracked like a whip, pulling Foxy up short and
then meekly back to her seat. "I don't recall giving you permission to
leave. Doc Sloan and someone else from the crew will begin working with
you regarding this (cough) gift, and you are expected to give him your
FULL cooperation. Or I *will* space both of you, to protect my crew, this
mission, and ultimately the whole damn earth."

Foxy looked at Spectrum with a pleading look.

"Aye-aye, Captain." Spectrum said as he bowed his head.

"Report to your cabin." Tonk dismissed them irritably.

John Clark began to stand, but was waved back to his seat by Tonk, who
pulled out a couple beers, and cracked one, passing the other to Clark.

"I'm on duty, ma'am."

"Take it. Trust me, you'll need it and maybe a few've its closest friends
in you to answer my next question."

"Yes'm," replied Clark, cracking open his brew and taking an experimental
sip. When Tonk said that you'd need a drink, you knew that you -really-
needed it.

"I didn't sign up for this crap," sighed Tonk, as she took a healthy pull
from the can. "So. Can you use them in the fight?"

"Wrong question, ma'am. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of how."

"G'wan?"

Clark gestured with the beer, for which he was suddenly profoundly
grateful. Tonk had been right about his needing it, as she often was in
alcohol-related matters.

"There's no way to pull either of them out of the unit now. Pull her and
he'll go with -- you saw how protective he is of the Fox. Pull them both
and the rest of his team suddenly develops a major mad-on with the troops;
and that's when it turns into an 'us vs. them' mentality. Now if you take
that onto the battlefield, you know what you wind up with?"

"Yeah. You wind up with a very dead 'us' and an equally dead 'them'."

"Exactly. Of course, it gets worse."

"Oh lovely. Crack another if you need it."

"Will do, captain. See, if we don't pull her then the troops are going to
get nervous whenever she's around. You saw those men. Um, respectfully
Captain? I don't think they deserve any real kind of punishment. If Foxy's
projecting passion, then she's projecting other things too; and who
wouldn't be scared on this mission..."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Leave it up to me. Right now what we're dealing with
is a little something called 'realpolitik'. If I went any softer on those
guys, then Spectrum would've... well, I mean you just said it, didn'tcha?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I guess I did. And he's got a point, since that was... well
if I even -suspected- that they weren't acting under the influence..."

"They'd be drifting in space in their underroos, Clark. So g'wan. You were
talking about the crew getting nervous."

"The way I see it, there're two things that make the crew nervous. There's
her projection and there's the fact that she acts like, well, like a toon.
And both have the same root problem: they affect the discipline of anyone
caught in the path. We're a unit. We may 'only' be paramilitary, but you
wouldn't know it from how seriously the ground-pounders take their
drilling. You have to be sure you can count on the guy standing behind you
not to suddenly wonder what it would be like to blow a hole in your head,
and you have to be sure that -you're- not going to do the same thing to
the guy in front of you. Throwing her into the mix makes that certainty
into a toss-up."

Clark paused and took another swallow from the beer. "And just to make it
worse, she's a bundle of random impulses. You saw what she did with the
rapid-deployment sled. She took a tactical edge that we had and made it
-less- effective... entirely for her own jollies. She's a liability to a
well-oiled unit; and there's no good way to fix that problem in the
limited time that we have. We're less than two days away from planetfall,
so we can't drill her with the troops to show them that she's 'not so
bad'. We had -no- idea that we might need Colleen to whip up some
psi-blockers, so we don't have a tech solution either."

Tonk blinked, "Then what -do- we have? C'mon Clark, thinking about assets
that we don't have isn't helping. So think about what we do. What about
giving the troops a magic-feather?"

"Oh Hell(tm) no! I respect 'em too much for the Dumbo solution. Nope,
there's only two things I can think of that might pull this situation out
of the fire."

"Don't keep me in suspense. My beer's getting flat."

"One, we do some brush-ups on mental control techniques. Get people
sitting zazen, reminding them what they probably haven't been practicing
the way they should've, make -them- feel like they've got a way to work
against mental influences.

"And two, I take Spectrum aside and we make it very clear that she's his
subordinate. He's ex-military, he'll get it as long as he knows it's not
personal."

"Think those'll work?"

"Got -no- clue. But it's better than us focusing on assets that we don't
have, isn't it?"

"Too right. Hey, me and a couple've others are sitting down for a game
later on before we make orbit. Interested?"

"Love to, but got too much to do."

"Don't make it an order.  You've done just about everything you can do to
prep your men, and I consider this a tactical move to keep you from
getting too wound up."

Clark looked at the beer bottle, and shrugged. "What're you playing
anyway?"

"Poker."

"Funny," replied Clark. "I thought we'd been playing that this whole
trip."

***

Continued in part two.