SG: Aurora #47 - Me, Myself and I

Frobozz frobozz at eyrie.org
Sat Oct 27 17:58:00 PDT 2007

   Colleen MacCloud stared balefully across the desk at her employer,
Arthur Doyle. Doyle calmly returned the engineer's gaze, never allowing
there to be even a moment's suggestion that he was about to lose his
temper. Sometimes when conducting impromptu negotiations, the lie was more
important than the truth.
    "Ye cannae be serious," Colleen said finally when she realised that a
stare worthy of a Top Ten pop singer was not going to get him to start.
"I've been more productive in thae last two months than I've been in the
whole bloody year! At... least, the last one I was -around- for!"
    "I know, Colleen. I'm not faulting your efficiency. You've put the
space exploration program at least six weeks ahead of schedule. You've
done Aurora a larger favour than we could ever repay."
    "Then whae, may I ask, is the blasted -problem-?"
    "It's your interpersonal relations, Colleen. A certain number of
explosions and absent-minded accidents are expected in a mad science shop;
that's why we pay so much for liability insurance and legal fees. But...
Coleen, in all the time I've known you, I've never seen you act like you
did today."
    "T'was under stress. It willnae happen again."
    "But therein lies the problem. It -has- happened again, Colleen. I'm
aware that this isn't an isolated incident. This is simply the most
egregious and the one that means I can't turn a blind eye towards your
behaviour any longer."
    "So yer -benchin'- me?"
    "Yes, Colleen. Yes I am. You've put us six weeks ahead of schedule;
while I'd like nothing better than to use that time you've bought for us,
I think in the long run it will profit myself, Aurora and you all the more
if you use it as a vacation."
    "I donae -need- a vacation, Arthur! Whae I need is tae work!"
    "Colleen." Doyle's voice took on a hard edge, one that immediately
stilled Colleen's protests. "You have done nothing -but- since we
recovered you. No one can take the pace you've set for yourself. You're
human, and you need a certain amount of downtime to keep yourself in
balance. One thing more."
    "Aye?" asked Colleen, voice sullen.
    "Please keep in mind that this isn't easy to say to -anyone-, least of
all to someone whom I respect as highly as I do you. But I think you
should consider seeking counseling. All fees will be paid for you, and it
would be strictly confide--"
    "Thae be IT!" bellowed Colleen, leaping to her feet as her hands
slammed down on Doyle's desk. "Ye can sit me on th'sidelines where I'll
watch like a good little girl at rugger, but ye WILL nae insult me in this
manner!"
    "There was no insult meant, Colleen. But just look at yourself. Look at
how you're acting. You--"
    "This be nae about me," snorted the affronted engineer. "Ye cannae
stand tae look 'pon me, an' so ye cast me -away-."
    Doyle's face turned to an icy mask before Colleen had finished her last
word; and she knew in her heart that she had traipsed merrily over a line
that should not have been crossed. When he finally spoke, Doyle's voice
was toneless and flat.
    "Colleen, I can't talk to you when you're like this." Doyle pointed to
the doorway. "You are on four weeks paid vacation as of right now. Now
please get out of my office."
    "Arthur, I..."
    "Not now, Colleen. I'm sorry, but not now."
    Colleen nodded mutely and rose. For the first time in a long time --
perhaps since she awoke to found herself behind enemy lines, in another
altiverse -- Colleen felt truly afraid. The cold feeling gnawed at her
guts like rats, and in that moment the engineer wondered if she would ever
feel warmed again. She turned and walked to the door, hearing each
footstep fall louder than she could believe possible, knowing that each
one reminded Doyle of her presence and thus the hateful thing that she had
just said. She had crossed a line. There was no taking it back, and there
was nothing she could say right now to make things better.
    But there was one thing more that needed to be said. Or rather, there
was one thing more that still needed to be asked. She only prayed that
Doyle would consent to answer her after... what she had just done.
    "Arthur..." she began, half-turning without looking at Doyle.
    "Yes, Colleen?" Doyle asked in his flat tone. "What is it."
    "Will... he... will he be all right?"
    "I don't know. Honeybear says that it's too early to tell."
    "Ah."
    "Goodbye, Colleen."
    Colleen nodded, turning towards the office door. She put a hand on the
knob, then turned it and stepped through.
    "Aye. Goodbye indeed."

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

                Chris Angelini/Frobozz Magic Productions

                              -and-

                        Mademoiselle Muse Inc

                        -in association with-

            'We Didn't Mean To Colour The Sky Pink, Honest!'
                Industrial Special Effects and Magic

                               -and-

        The Overworked and Underpaid Lisa MacDougall (producer)

                             -present-

                             AURORA #47

                          "Me, Myself and I"

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

    There were few inhabited locations in the Beanstalk more lonely than
this one. While many areas in Aurora's surface-to-orbit structure were
empty, cavernous tombs -- due to the vast amount of space available in
comparison to amount needed by those who called it home  -- these areas
were almost never seen save by the engineers who needed to access them for
whatever installation or renovations were needed. But everywhere that
there was life in the Beanstalk, a conscious effort was made to ensure
there would be bright lighting and a feeling of warmth, to keep the place
feeling human habitable.
    The only exception to this general rule of good beanstalk-keeping could
be found on Aurora's prison level, which boasted bare metal walls and
carpeted floors. This austerity was both practical -- in that those
incarcerated here tended to be resourceful and clever, capable of turning
a salad fork and bubble wrap into an escape device -- and also
cost-effective, as prisoners had far better things to complain about than
the decor. If Daphne Anesthetic, the Beanstalk's warden, had anything
negative to say about this general lack of warmth in her workplace then
she'd not said it to any member of Aurora; not that she was in much of a
position to say a word about anything these days. But the crux of the
matter was that the Beanstalk's prisons remained a fairly bleak choice of
vacation spot.
    Right now, Colleen found the environment to be exactly what she needed.
There was a depersonalization to the area that appealed to her current
state of mind; there were no reminders that anyone had left -their-
distinctive and unique mark upon this little universe. But Colleen hadn't
come to wander the prison halls for their ambiance; rather, there was
someone in particular whom she had come to visit.
    "Took you long enough," muttered a crotchety voice from within the cell
where Colleen stopped. "I was expecting you last week."
    "I'm so sorry tae disappoint ye," replied Colleen, snagging a visitor's
stool with one foot and dragging it over to sit upon. "But some o' us do
nae dance tae yer tune."
    "Oh naturally," replied the prisoner, shaking her head with a rueful --
yet amused -- expression written across her face. Said prisoner waited
several moments for her visitor to speak again, and then continued. "Was
that what you came here to tell me, Colleen? It hardly seems worth it to
trek -all- the way down here just for that. You probably could have used
inter-stalk mail to send me a postcard with that written on, and had room
at the bottom for a few random jibes to make yourself feel better."
    "Oh do shut up," muttered Colleen, who was already beginning to feel as
if this visit was something of a mistake. "An' do try t'remember that ye
be the prisoner and I the free woman. So ye may wish t'keep a civil tongue
in yer mouth, mm?"
    "I think my being a prisoner is precisely why I can get away with
wising off at you right now, mirror miss. You wouldn't believe how
liberating t'is to have absolutely nothing more to lose. But... ah, I
sense that I've struck a nerve. I also sense that you're wrong in your
assessment."
    "An' which one might -thae- be?"
    "That I'm the prisoner and you're the free woman. I believe we may be
prisoners together, and you've but come to commiserate about your own
incarceration."
    "Ye're more insane than I thought."
    "Am I? I'm not altogether convinced that I'm either insane or wrong in
this. You have the look of a prisoner, and I suspect you have the mindset
of one too."
    "Rubbish!" snapped Colleen. "What would ye know of any of it?"
    "Oh, this and that," replied the prisoner, brushing back her long red
hair. She rose from her cot and walked over to the cell bars, staring back
at her visiting twin. "After all, who knows you better than the woman who
lived your life for all these years?"

***
    "Playin' a role doesnae make ye me," replied Colleen, her voice
dropping to a dangerous whisper. "It merely makes ye an actress an'
nothin' more."
    "If I'd just pretended to be you for, oh say, a month then I'd agree
with you. But I lived a good chunk of your life and -- save for one or two
bobbles -- no one even noticed the difference. I put it to you that
someone capable of this feat might... just -might-... understand her
subject on more than a surface level. Unless of course you want to argue
that no one knew you well enough to tell the difference between us..."
    Colleen said nothing as she glowered at her altiversal counterpart. The
woman standing across from her was Colleen MacDougal, who hailed from the
neighbouring 001SUPERGUY, a universe both very similar and very different
from the one Colleen knew. The engineer's twin had come across an
altiversal bridge that the two of them forged and had promptly captured
and replaced Colleen to act as a deep-cover mole within Aurora's ranks.
The 'true' Colleen had spent the subsequent time trapped in the Hellish
(tmish) prison of a stasis chamber until she had been rescued through the
brave efforts of former Aurora leader, Nicholas Treis.
    To say that there was a bit of bad blood between the two Colleens would
be to understate things just a tad.
    "No? I didn't think you'd care to admit that, even if it meant
repudiating my skills. At least you still have your pride."
    "I came here tae ask you somethin'," began Colleen, flatly ignoring
MacDougal's words. "But perhae I have come in error. Ye seem to be little
use t'me in this mood."
    Colleen hesitated as she made to rise, realising that her double was
making no move to stop her. Trying to recover her dignity, she turned her
back on MacDougal and folded her arms.
    "But still. I suppose I can but see if I can coax some sense from ye,"
she finished, pursing her lips. "Some answer."
    "By all means," replied MacDougal, her eyes lidded with amusement at
the aborted attempt at storming off. "As you can see, I have nothing but
time."
    "Fine." Colleen hesitated for a moment, and then sighed. "-Why-?"
    "That's an open-ended question, cousin. Why what? You're going to have
to help me out a little bit so I'll know what it is that I'm answering."
    "Why did ye... do it?"
    "That's still fairly vague, but I think I can finally take a stab at
answering. You want to know why I impersonated you? Why I took over your
life? All that?"
    "Aye."
    "I'm sorry to disappoint you, cousin. But it was my job."
    "Thae's no answer!"
    "That's every sort of answer, cousin. My Upline told me to do it and so
I did. That's just how things work where I come from."
    "But... ye went -further- than that! Ye did things ye did nae have to.
Ye..."
    "Ah." MacDougal paused, then favoured her counterpart with a sad smile.
"You're on the very cusp of asking an intensely personal, not to mention
intensely interesting, question. I'd let you fumble around for a minute or
two until you managed to get it out, except I don't think you'll be able
to ask it. I know that I wouldn't if I hadn't lived through the answer to
it. You're wondering why I made your life into what I did?"
    "Perhae." Colleen paused, then sighed and nodded. "Aye."
    "All right, cousin. I suppose as the victor, those spoils belong to
you. But I suggest you sit down, all right?"
    "Oh aye? Why might thae be?"
    "Because the prisoner should be comfortable in her cell, and I fear
that yours is much larger than mine."

***

    "Thae's twice that ye've called me a prisoner," said Colleen, after she
had retaken her seat. "What th' *dei'l* do ye mean by that?"
    "What do you think I meant?"
    "I haen't a clue."
    "Let's start there. There's one bar to your cage that you just can't
stop rattling on."
    "Oh, aye? An' whae might thae be? What bar could I -possibly- be
rattlin' upon--"
   "*Colleen*."
    Startled by the firm interruption, Colleen halted mid-word, staring at
her dopple.
    "I know you, Colleen. Not just because I've lived a version of your
life, but because I've spent the last five years living -your- life. I'm
your face reflected in the mirror; and I know the secrets that you share
only with your looking glass. So let's drop all pretense here, all right?
And for that matter, here you can at least drop that bloody -accent-. Do
you know how much I've hated having to mangle a perfectly good brogue?"
    "It's... it be... my natural--"
    "What do you think that first bar is, mirror miss? -God-, give me some
credit for being a highly trained spy. I researched your life the first
chance that I got so I wouldn't have to fake it. Do you know what I found
out?"
    "I'm afraid ye may try tae tell me," replied Colleen in a quiet
whisper. The cold chill of earlier had returned, and it had brought along
friends.
    "I found a young woman who graduated at the top of her class; and yet
despite this head-start out of the gate, I found someone who was having
trouble being taken seriously in the engineering world." MacDougal drew
her knee against her body, hugging it. "Being a mad scientist is bad
enough here, isn't it? Almost -no- one wants to hire those. 'Reproducible'
and 'reliable' are what just about every non-superguy-related sector
wants. Mad scientists are notorious for deliverables that lack both
traits.
    "But even worse, when a female mad scientist comes knocking on your
door, faster than you can say 'glass ceiling', you're going to find some
seemingly non-discriminatory way to tell her that there's no room at the
inn. That must have been quite a blow to a budding inventrix just starting
out and already tripping over the debris of two decades ago.
    "So were I she, I might decide that if you can't beat them, you join
them. I might cultivate the image that everyone expected me to have. I
might unleash my genius and use it to drape myself in the robes of the
soulless scientist. I might start to speak in a thick accent that was a
caricature of my own... the better to seem a -lot- more exotic. And even
better would be to seem just a little bit buffoonish, thus taking the
'mad' sting out of 'mad science'. And having completed my extreme
makeover, I might shop myself around in the only sector that would have
me."
    MacDougal stared at her double, who kept her eyes firmly on the ground.
She hardly seemed to be breathing, much less inclined to answer back.
After a moment's pause, the spy continued.
    "It would be a good disguise. An excellent mask to wear. It would let
you stand on your own in a world that's expecting another Andy Awesome,
another Qwintor, another Silly Wizzard. It would give you a flair that
might make others overlook your unfortunate deviation from the accepted
mould. And most of all... it would be a mask that you could wear, one that
lets you chuckle at those who think they know you.Keeping the real you
hidden from sight while the new and improved Colleen rockets up the ladder
and proves what she knew all along: that she ranked amongst the top five
mad scientists in the world and could stand proudly at the top of the
heap, if only she was given a chance.
    "Still nothing to say? I'm really sorry for that, because I hate
monologues; but needs must when the devil drives. Or would you say 'when
the de'il drives'? Probably the latter, but let's not split hairs, shall
we? This is the point where my research gives way to abject speculation.
    "It's my guess that this young woman, this goddess of technology, this
peerless peer realised that as her -father- had the bad grace to be born a
citizen of Erin, she was saddled with an Irish name that was potentially
confusing to the world in which she was moving. It's further my guess that
while she picked up her Scots accent from her mother, she didn't absorb
much in the way of culture along the way. So, when she first gave her
surname as 'MacCloud' rather than 'MacLeod', she was stuck with it once
the ink dried on her first contract. I do have to give her credit for her
gumption, however. I speculate that, once the error came to light, she
decided to wear the name as a badge of honour and brazen her way forward.
    "Now mirror miss, I could be wrong on all of this. Research doesn't
necessarily translate into fact; just ask any computer security research
firm. So either tell me where I'm wrong or else please, drop the mask.
You've been wearing the damned thing for so long that it's gotten stuck on
your face."
    Colleen finally looked up, her arms sliding to cross defensively over
her chest. Several moments passed before she broke the silence that
settled between them.
    "I can't say that ye--you got it all right," replied Colleen
experimentally in a soft, lilting accent that sounded so strange to her
ears. "But I suppose I can't say that you got it all wrong, either."
    "There we go," replied MacDougal, sighing with just a trace of
pleasure. "Now isn't that much better? We've already taken off one mask
and that's -only- going to make it easier for us to talk. By the by, it
sounds nice. I can just barely hear the Celtic that you've buried under
the tombstone of your stereotypical Scots accent. It's lovely and exotic.
I'm truly jealous of it. You should encourage it to grow back."
    "I suppose ye will say that you never followed this route yourself?"
    "Not... this one, no. But we aren't here to talk about me, remember? No
Colleen MacDougal pity-parties tonight. You were here to talk about
yourself. Or mmm. I think you came here to sit there and then go away
telling yourself that nothing could help you. Unfortunately for your plans
to feel miserable, I think that I can do something for you after all."
    "Ah, of course. Why did you ever go intae espionage when you had a long
and full career as a psychologist ahead o' you?"
    "Who said I didn't dabble? But then again, who said I did? Either way,
it doesn't much matter. Colleen? You came here because you tried to step
back into your life and you couldn't. And when you went to find someone to
ask why you couldn't get back into the shoes you used to wear, you realise
that there wasn't a living soul who shared your quantum signature with
whom you could share this."
    "An' you know this -how- again?" Colleen demanded, feeling her anger
reaching out to try to take control of this situation. "Yes, yes, I know
you researched my life and yes, you made some shrewd guesses, but I fail
tae see how ye can claim to have gotten into my head -that- far!"
    "I've gotten into it because I've lived in it!" retorted MacDougal,
finally letting her calm slip. "And I can't say that I much enjoyed the
experience! Not until I made your life -mine-!"
    "That's exactly the PROBLEM!"
    "No, that's exactly the solution!"
    "What th' HELL(tm) do ye mean by that?" Colleen demanded, squeezing her
hands into fists. "Whae the HELL(tm) can you possibly mean?"
    "Your life WAS a mask, Colleen! Everything in it was a carefully
constructed facade for you to hide behind because you ran into one
roadblock and that made you afraid to ever again work without a safety
net! I couldn't change everything you hid behind, but I certainly could
change it so I had -some- fun! And -that's- why you're here!"
    "WHY? If you know me so well, WHY am I here?"
    "Because you just tried to slide back into your life, and you realised
that a STRANGER could live it better than you could!"
    "That's a DAMNED LIE!"
    "Is it? IS IT? Co-workers who were complete strangers when you left are
now, out of the blue, talking to you -- and you have NO idea how to deal
with that, am I right? People at work expect you to talk to them in a
certain way, and even though in their heads they -know- you're not the
Colleen to whom they spoke just a month ago, they still can't help but
treat you like you were me, can they? And the more this goes on, the more
you sit there and ask yourself -why- this is happening. I -know- that this
is what's going on in your head, because at first I was treated the way
you -expected- to be, and I hated it, and now I know just how alien it
must be to you!"
    "You have nae IDEA!" Colleen screamed back at her, her fingernails
cutting into her palms. "If you love this life so much, why don't YOU live
it?"
    "Because I can't any longer," replied MacDougal, her voice dropping
into a wistful sigh of regret. "I don't have a life any more. I'm paying
for who and what I was. But if I could, mirror miss, I would. I loved
living your life for you. There was only one regret..."
    "I canna--cannot believe you could have any regrets, ye cold-hearted
bitch," replied Colleen, trembling.
    "No? Then your imagination is even more limited than I expected."
    "Fine. So t'is. What -is- this grand regret?"
    "You can't guess? No. I suppose you can't. Things like these just
aren't in your vocabulary."
    "Jus' tell me. You're so damned smart, then speak -plain- for the
benefit of those of us who're poor, limited souls who haven't anything
-worthwhile- in our lexicon."
    "If you don't know what it is, then I'm not going to insult both of us
by -telling- you. Besides, you're letting the most essential part of this
conversation sail right over your overstuffed head."
    "Oh -aye-?"
    "Yes. Aye. Whichever you prefer. I -can't- have your life any more,
which is a real shame because you didn't seem to have much use for it
before I got here. So why aren't you doing something to take it back?"
    "Now this shows -jus'- how little you know, you traitorous she-bitch. I
hae been doing -everything- in my power to take back this life that ye
stole from me -- and don't think that the fact that you were the one who
stole it has been forgotten! Perhaps you think it's a simple matter to go
sliding into a life you've not touched in years?"
    "Actually, given that I managed it with yours and I'd never touched it
before, I think it's not nearly as difficult as you're making it out to
be."
    "And -I- think that it's easy to speak when you're sitting in your
cell, smug as smug can be, watching your victim pick up the pieces that
you scattered!"
    "Hm." MacDougal considered her double for several moments before
nodding. "Yes. I think 'victim' does fit you. And yes, I was at least
partially responsible for making you one, mirror miss. But pieces?
Scattered? Now that's where I have to disagree."
    "Disagree? -Disagree-? What word would -ye- use for what you've done to
my life?"
    "Honestly? Organized. Your life was already in pieces, scattered
willy-nilly about the place. They were like a machine that sits in parts
on a worktable. Everything is -present-, but the machine is non-functional
simply because no one's done anything useful with those parts."
    "Ah," replied Colleen, feeling deeply stung. "An' so you claim that my
life was the machine, and your betrayal... t'was but a bit of routine
maintenance?"
    "No. No, it was espionage, Colleen. The routine maintenance was just
the happy fallout of my plying my spy craft."
    "I certainly would -love- to hear how you would justify the murders
your actions led to, then!" snorted Colleen. "If only t'hear the pretty
words in which you dress that!"
    "I don't justify murder, mirror," replied MacDougal, struggling to keep
her voice controlled. "Just as I'm not trying to justify what happened to
you. I made you believe my good intentions and then I traded on your trust
to replace you. There's really nothing about that which -isn't- me being a
lying bitch. Just..." Her eyes flashed. "Just as there's no pretty way to
dress up murder. And I'll thank you never to speak to me about it that way
again."
    "An' I'm doing you favours why, precisely?"
    "You're -not-. You would be showing my victims the respect they
deserve. But maybe I'm a fool to expect that kind of respect from someone
who lives with her life wearing white gloves over bloodless hands."
    Abruptly, Colleen rose and walked away from the cell. MacDougal frowned
after her, then called after her mirror image.
    "I'd ask if it was something I said. But I already know that it is. Who
was it, Colleen?"
    Colleen paused and clenched her fists. "Why should I tell you a thing?"
    "Because I notice that you stopped when I called you back, mirror miss.
You don't really want to walk away from me because, no matter how much we
yell at each other, at least we're communicating. You need communication
right now, more than anything. And whatever I just nailed you on, it's
sore enough a point that you need someone to talk to right now. Who else
is going to discuss it with you? Since you're here, you're probably
feeling pretty isolated. Hm... well we know that Kent's dead. I'm sorry
about that, for what it's worth. It wasn't my call even if I accept his
life on my conscience. But that's one confidant you don't have to turn to.
At a guess, Doyle's more pissed than usual with you. Might be part my
fault though. Sorry about that, for what -it's- worth. And... who does
that leave you? Underlings? Nope, they're terrified of you. Friends?
Couldn't really find any in your Rolodex. Not that you really kept a
Rolodex. Though you'll find mine in the upstairs cupboard. So you came
here to have a good yell... and maybe for something more. Maybe to talk to
the one person who -- perversely -- is close enough to you that you don't
need to have any secrets from her. Now, am I wrong? Am I anywhere close to
wrong?"
    There was a silence that stretched out for a long while. MacDougal
stared at her twin, who kept her eyes down as she let that percolate.
    "Nay. You... aren't wrong."
    "Who was it, mirror miss?"
    "T'was Moore. It was an accident..."
    "I believe you."
    Colleen snorted softly. "Oh thank you." She paused, then considered
again. "But it wasn't just... Moore. It was Walker. An' Young. An'
Turner..."
    "It sounds like you've been having a lot of accidents lately."
    "Aye. Indeed."
    "Can I be a little blunt right now... Colleen?"
    "When hae *I* ever stopped you?"
    "Fair enough. But this time I'm asking. Seriously asking. May I?"
    After a moment, Colleen nodded.
    "You're trying to live half a life behind a mask. You were managing
it... -just-... before I came along. You did it by fooling yourself into
thinking that you were happy; that it was a rich and full life. That the
mask hadn't become the real you. But when you came back and saw what your
life could be like, when you realised that the mask had been donned by
another and no one even noticed... well, you're a smart girl, mirror-leen.
But you're not emotionally smart. You threw yourself into your work, but
that wasn't enough. And you started to act out through it."
    "I..."
    "I'm not saying I'm all completely right," replied MacDougal, raising a
hand. "Humans aren't that easy to fathom. But I think what I'm saying
touches a nerve?"
    "...aye."
    "You want to change. Don't you?"
    "Aye."
    "Then you can. It really is that easy. You have what I didn't,
mirror-leen: you have a choice. My life was written for me and I made the
best of it. You... you can take your life and write it however you want,
use all the florid language you like, and put it between two beautiful
covers that'll look nice on the bookshelf. Just promise me two things?"
    "Aye...?"
    "First, promise me that you'll see someone. Someone..." She grimaced.
"Trained in stuff like this. Who can help you get to your core. Trust me,
it'll help and it'll help a -lot- with your boss. Nothing gets you
forgiveness better than seeking help."
    Colleen snorted softly again, but this time the note held no derision.
"Promise."
    "Good. And the second...  promise me that you'll live enough for us
both."
    "Ah... ye may not be in here forever, you know."
    "No, no I know," replied MacDougal, a small smile gracing her lips.
"But promise me anyway?"
    "Aye, then. I promise."
    "I know we can't be friends, but... well. Confederates, mirror-leen?"
she asked, offering a handclasp through the metal bars.
    "I think... perhaps maybe even friends," replied Colleen, glancing
shyly up at her mirror image before accepting the clasp.
    There was a loud clang as Colleen was yanked against the bars, head
striking metal with enough force to stun. MacDougal's hands worked
quickly, finding the tools she knew would be hidden on her counterpart's
clothing. She let Colleen fall to the floor with a dull thud, turning her
attention to the cell door. It was the work of moments for her to gimmick
it open.
    "Sorry," MacDougal said to Colleen's motionless form. "But necessity
exists." Hm. She was caught in a choke point, the only exit from which was
controlled by an external console, and the guard manning it was no doubt
raising an alarm right about now. She had... a pair of pliars, a
screwdriver, some gum and fewer than five minutes to escape before
reinforcements sufficiently emboldened the guard to attempt a capture.
    Well, if this wasn't going to be a mite bit tricky, she didn't know
what was. But that was just fine by her. Colleen MacDougal loved a
challenge.

***

This issue is mine, mine, mine and you can't have it. Nyah and copyright
belongs to Frobozz/Chris Angelini, 2007. Mess with my legal rights and
I'll send over Gggthstx to discuss 'fair use' with you. Email to
frobozz at eyrie.org. Homepage at http://www.eyrie.org/~frobozz.

---
-Chris
frobozz at eyrie.org
http://www.eyrie.org/~frobozz

Geek Code
GFA/IT/PA d-(+) s--:+> a- C++ UL*++ P+++ L++
E W++ N+ !o !K w++(-) O? M++ V? PS+ PE Y PGP
t+ 5++ X+ R+++ tv+ b+++ DI+ D++ G e++>+++ h- r* z?