SG: WCD 45 Desperado Kick Part Three of a bunch

Lawrence Brown lbrown at tcfbank.com
Wed Nov 8 12:08:31 PST 2006

EDITORS NOTE:  SORRY!  THIS WILL BE PART THREE OR FOUR.  WE'VE ALL

BEEN SACKED AND REASSIGNED TO WORK ON VOTING MACHINES.

Troopers Anderson and Weaving huddled low, watching from concealment as

the intruders slithered down the corridor towards them. Both had their

side-arms at the ready position, and despite several hopeful recounts,

the pair still estimated that they were outnumbered three-to-one.

"Ideas?" whispered Anderson through a tightbeam to Weaving. "We could

use some right about now."

"Get their measure. Maybe we'll spot something we can use."

"You mean like the giant target one of them's carrying that says 'shoot

here to disable all the Nintan'?"

"Yeah, exactly like that, Mr Sarcastic."

"What the Hell(tm) ever. Okay. They're kind of slow. We can maybe use

that against them."

"We're trapped in a straight-line corridor. Their ground speed doesn't

matter -too- much if their bullets can travel at faster than a slow jog."

"Okay. They move in formation."

"So do we."

"We don't have to."

"Presumably, neither do they."

"They're close together when they do that."

"So burst-fire is indicated. What else? They're gonna see us any second

now!"

"They're not carrying much in the way of equipment. Do you see those

little gun-like things hanging from their belt-webs?"

"Yes I do. What do you think they are?"

"Well... guns, probably. What exactly did you think would be the answer

to that question?"

"Mostly? Guns. But hope springs eternal."

"Not right here and not right now it doesn't. Pandora owes us a refund

and they're at the point of no return. Ready to go with the standard

plan, then?"

"Not a bit."

"Me either. Charge!"

The two troopers darted out of their hiding spot, opening fire. The

Nintan noticed the charge and went right for their web-belts. Sure

enough, they were right. They -were- guns.

***

Spectrum raised his armored fist experimentally. The modified Tornado

Heavy moved, and interlink displays flashed across the inside of the

ManCoPoWerArmor. From within his double cocoon, he activated the

commlink. "Radio Check. You guys picking me up?"

"Command. Five by five Spectrum. Biotelemetry and comms a-ok."

Clark and a half-dozen Troopers ran checklists, inspecting each other's

suits, and stealing glances at Foxy and Spectrum. Clark pointed a

tightbeam at Spectrum.

"This is a tightbeam link, you'll find it on channel 3 if you need to

talk to someone during a fracas without broadcasting your position. Its

LOS so be sure to keep that in mind. Suit working okay?"

Spectrum pointed his micromissle pod at Clark, then disarmed it and

switched to tightbeam. "Whoops. Yes sir. Your techs pulled off a minor

miracle. Turns out though, that the interlinks designed into my new suit

for use with Bahamode Sigma also let me tie into this suit. It has a

nanotech subsystem that seems to do more than just simple repairs."

"Sigma?"

"When I worked with Team M.E.C.H.A., we had a giant combiner mode with

all their mechs. I was the power-plant."

Spectrum dug through a weapons and ammo crate the team had brought with

them for the fight. He made sure the Tornado heavy had a green board

with all ammo stocks. He fished out a variety of grenades and handed

them to Foxy. Then he pulled out another box from the cache and snorted.

"Sporks?!"

Foxy anxiously rechecked her pistol for the umpteenth time. A test

prototype from TONN, it contained a smartgun link to her headset which

put a targeting dot on whatever it was pointed at. That, coupled with

the comms, and the power-module tethered to the holster, was basically

all she had for weapons. There was that pistol she stole from the

Nintan, and a few toon surprises in her pocket, but she would have to

rely on reflexes and cover to keep safe. There was a banging sound from

ahead and she gasped nervously.

The troops seemed to be on edge, Clark noted.

"Okay squad. Pair up. We have several hostiles coming this way, and we

need to hit them hard the moment they break through. We don't have much

cover here so instead we are just going to rig the door with explosives

and then hit them hard with full weapons. Spectrum, you have point. You

are the most heavily armed with your weapon systems and you should be

able to suck up the damage with your two layers of armor. The rest of

you will take tactical spread positions and Foxy will have rearguard

sniper. Get in position troops. The mosh pit is almost open for business.

Suddenly and without warning there was an explosion from somewhere to

their rear. Environmental and fire alarms sounded as hatches slammed

shut behind them.

"Oh joy and rapture," one of the troopers shouted. "...we're sandwiched."

Almost as soon as the words escaped his mouth, there were sounds of

energy weapons to the front. Foxy let out a squeak of fear and suddenly

the squad of troopers broke ranks and crowded around Foxy.

Clark stared wide-eyed in surprise and then shouted,

"What the Heck(sm)? Get back in positions people!"

"But she's scared!"

"We have to protect Foxy!"

"Defend the 'toon!"

"Keep her safe!"

Spectrum looked back at Foxy, who seemed as confused as Clark by the

sudden actions of the squad. "What are you doing, girl? Suck it up! We

have a fight on our hands and I need you to focus!"

Foxy looked back at Spectrum, suddenly wishing he was powerful enough to

make this all go away by himself, but still taking comfort in his voice.

"Sorry, sailor. I'm just scared!"

"Well, duh! We all are! You just keep your head down and you'll be okay.

Watch our backs!" Spectrum immediately regretted his sharp tone with his

future wife. "Sorry Honey, you heard the Captain, everyone with combat

skills fights. We have to help beat these invaders or we're all toast.

"GET BACK IN RANKS YOU MEATHEADS! WHAT IS YOUR MALFUNCTION?" Clark

broadcast over the local comnet, channeling his inner General Anesthetic

for the first time in his life. Both the command and the uncanny

imitation of every trooper's worst nightmare seemed to snap the troopers

funk. They quickly retook their positions, shaking their heads to clear

them. Switching channels, Clark spoke with Spectrum. "After this is

over, I think you and I need to have a little talk."

Another channel switch, and Clark spoke, "Command, I need you to capture

and run diags on med-stats on all of us for the past 60 seconds. Save

and forward to Sloan."

"Acknowledged Clark. What's wrong?"

"I'm not sure yet, and this is not the time for wild guesses. What's the

latest?"

"Contact in 30 seconds. We are having comms problems, so we might not be

able to maintain communications for much longer..."

Clark moved next to Spectrum and readied the detonator for the shaped

charges and booby-traps. "Its about to get really noisy people so mind

your buddy and make our guests as unwelcome as possible. 15 seconds."

***

"Keep 'em outta the engine room!" yelled Trooper Flynn from his hiding

place behind a very rudimentary barricade. It had been erected to block

the only access to the engineering section of the ship; or at least the

only one that didn't involve climbing through little tubes and feeling

as though ants were crawling all over one's skin. Flynn and his fellows

rose suddenly to exchange fire with the hoard of Nintan advancing

towards them. They dropped back down behind their improvised shield

almost in time to avoid the return volley. Trooper Leroy let out a

scream as a particle beam struck his shoulder, spinning him about; and

then a cry as another sizzled into his glutes. Flynn reached up and

pulled the man down behind cover, gesturing for someone to check the

man's vitals.

"I'm -fine-," Leroy protested, as a soldier moved to examine the suit's

readouts. "And I'm gonna fry their scaly hides if you lay down some

coverin' fire for me! So would someone -please- get these fricking

snakes off of my -ass-?"

"Got an idea for that," muttered Flynn, producing a tube of vile-looking

material from the cache they'd dumped behind their shelter. "This oughta

bind those bastards for a bit. One've the engineers gave it to me before

we came out here."

"What is it? Super-glue?"

"Better. Ten month-old Cheez Whiz. Stuff binds -and- sucks when it gets

to a certain age. Now I'm gonna toss it over and you guys shoot!"

"You sure this is going to work?" asked a trooper, fingering his gun

uncertainly.

"Do as I say and you'll live!" yelled Flynn, suddenly jumping up to toss

the tube of processed cheese-alike not-quite-foodstuff at the advancing

snakes. "Go! Get up here! Go!"

The other troopers took aim as the bottle shattered at the ground just

before the Nintan. The first echelon of intruders slithered onto the

horrific snack-time favourite, then suddenly discovered that they were

stuck fast. The other troopers opened up on them, though Flynn warned

them away from the one on the far right.

"Shoot that mofo's gun out, but don't hit him! Maybe we can take a

prisoner an--"

At the moment Flynn said the word 'prisoner', the other Nintan turned as

one and fired on their rightmost comrade, incinerating him. Then

seemingly just for good measure, the rear echelons opened fire on the

rest of the Cheez-captured invaders, searing them to a crisp.

"...what the FU--"

Flynn's surprised expletive was cut off as two P-beams struck his chest.

Fortunately for the trooper it was a glancing enough blow to just knock

him off his feet and back behind the barricade. Another trooper --

Miller, her name was -- was not nearly so fortunate. From his vantage

point on the ground, Flynn could only watch as a particle beam scored a

direct hit on her helmet, shattering the faceplate and reducing the head

cocooned within to an unidentifiable pulp.

"That... is... IT!" screamed Flynn, forcing his Tornado armor back to

its feet as he ratcheted a new clip into his sidearm. "Enough is

enough!" he screamed, firing at the Nintan. "I." He fired a burst.

"...have..." he fired another round into a serpent who collapsed, only

to reveal another two behind him. "...had it..." Flynn winced as the man

standing next to him was knocked down by a blast, perhaps fatally. "with

these MOTHERF***ING SNAKES..." Flynn whirled to send another burst into

the one who'd got his comrade. "ON THIS MOTHERF***ING STARSHIP!"

Silence. Flynn stopped firing as all noises of resistance ended. Nothing

but a cloud of smoke remain to be seen in the corridor.

"Did we get them all?" Leroy asked, tentatively as he searched the smoke

cloud. "We got to've gotten 'em all. Please God, say we got 'em all..."

Shadows moved within the smoke cloud. Snake-like shadows. They slithered

out of the murk and then into the corridor, raising weapons towards the

troopers.

"Can't say as God heard you," muttered Flynn, taking aim, realising that

the odds were stacked against them. "Let's hope He's just busy on

another line."