SG: WCD 45 Desperado Kick Part One half or so of Several parts. Dammit.

Lawrence Brown lbrown at tcfbank.com
Wed Nov 8 11:59:49 PST 2006

EDITORS NOTE:  THIS IS PART ONE... OF SEVERAL.

"Well he came down to earth and he lit in a tree

I said Mr. Purple People Eater, don't eat me

I heard him say in a voice so gruff

I wouldn't eat you cuz you're so tough" - Sheb Wooley

Foxy moved carefully, flashlight held at her shoulder as she tread

carefully down the darkened passageway.

"Sector Seven clear, no contacts yet, what do you have Johnson?"

The STOP trooper accompanying her paused, his suit lights dipping as he

glanced downward at the handheld scanner box.

"Nothing yet on the motion sensors, nothing on any of the wavelengths,

no transmissions..."

"Freeze."

Foxy gestured to the armored trooper.

"Your next step was going to be a doozy." She pointed her flashlight at

his feet.

The metal deck plating was melted away.

"Oh man, why can't I pull the easy duty?"

Switching on his comm-link, "You picking this up, command?" he pointed

his head-mounted camera towards the hole.

He switched his comms to the external speakers.

"Yes we are."

A female voice cracked, fear clearly creeping into her timbre.

"Be careful."

"Take a few deep breaths," another older male voice soothed. "Your vital

signs are spiking, you don't need to hyperventilate now."

"Command, are you talking to me or each other?"

The trooper cracked a weak joke.

"'Be careful'; they say, thought Foxy. Yeah, sure. Something just melted

through another level of durasteel deck grating like it was an ice

sculpture at the Burning Man.

"What can melt through the deck like that?" Foxy asked, reaching for the

edges.

"I dunno. Acid, maybe a ship's laser. Nothing we have that's

man-portable, and nothing that could dissolve a man sized hole."

He looked up, shining his light through the two decks above.

"Whatever it is, it's messing with the ships lighting and environmentals

in this area."

"Hey Joe, how many more levels before we get down to the ships hull?",

asked Foxy with a gulp.

The trooper waved his sensor.

"Not too many more. We all better hope whatever melted this doesn't get

to the hull or...HOLD IT! I have movement; two decks down. Command, we

have movement, two decks below us, do you copy?"

"Roger, Johnson, we advise *ksssssssssssssssssssssssisssssshhhhhhhhhhhh*!"

Foxy covered her ears as the trooper muted the transmission. Johnson

stepped towards a communications intercom, only to stop as his light

illuminated the comm box was melted.

"Something is jamming us. Or there is a big energy source damping out

the transmissions. Try your commlink."

Foxy's attempt was met with static too. The ship lurched, and Johnson --

losing his balance -- backpedaled before tumbling headfirst - screaming

- down the gaping hole. Banging and clanging sounds came from below as

the armor caromed as it fell. Foxy screamed and ran down the hallway.

The hatches clanged shut behind her as she ran, lost and in a panic.

"Command! This is Foxy! I need help! I have lost Johnson."

"*Zsssshkkkitr*---command, Foxy we've your position! We have movement!

Repeat, we have movement. We are sending help!"

"Johnson fell down the hole!" Foxy sobbed.

"We're still reading his life-signs so, he's still alive, though barely.

Can you get down to him?"

"I'm not jumping down a hole!" Foxy whimpered.

"You don't have to; there is an access ladder just to the south of your

location."

The hatch from the direction she had come from suddenly thudded. An

animal growling sound could be heard from behind the door and dents

started to form in the metal. The dents then started to glow as if there

was an intense heat behind them.

"Command! There is definitely something down here and its trying to get

to me!"

"Foxy! You have to get out of there! We have movement coming your way!"

"Do tell!"

The animal growling was louder. Foxy darted her head at the slightest

noise, as her flashlight was casting menacing shadows.

"Okay head south and get to the access ladder behind the maintenance

door," barked the voice of command.

Turning away from the sounds, she palmed an access button for a door.

The door ground open slowly and steam and smoke hissed through the

cracks. Suddenly, the female voice shrieked over the communicator.

"NO! That's the wrong way!"

Foxy turned and screamed as the corpse of another trooper fell face

first through the opened door. Its helmet was melted away and the melted

metal and plastic coated the bloody charred skull of the dead trooper,

making him look almost like the Zoomers she had encountered in her first

big battle. The voice sobbed as it continued to try to direct her.

"THAT'S EAST, go SOUTH! Hurry! It's coming!"

Darting through the door and down the ladder, the horrible noises grew

fainter.

"Okay guys I am down, heading back towards Joe!" Foxy panted as she

dashed back towards the unmoving trooper. "Command! Is he still alive?

Command?"

"We can't tell, there is some kind of energy jamming the signal. Wait.

Wait. Oh god. Get out! Get out of there... its coming!

*Shhhhhiiiissskkkkkhshhkkk*"

The radio hissed static again.

"WHICH WAY!?" Foxy screamed into the useless commlink. Suddenly, a

scraping sound came from the far end of the hallway. Foxy fired her gun

wildly into the darkness in response, though it seemed as though she

managed to hit nothing. A groan came from behind Foxy, causing her to

spin and fire her weapon in a panic. Her shot hit trooper Johnson square

between the eyes, shattering his faceplate and coring his head. As he

fell backwards, his suit's commlink squawked back into intercom mode and

Foxy could hear the female voice sobbing and weeping,

"Oh God, oh no! It killed Johnson, he's flat-lined and I can't raise

Foxy! Get her out of there. No no no!"

Foxy screamed again and dashed back for the door. As it opened, she

looked back at the trooper, lying in a growing pool of blood. Turning

back around, she slammed face-first into someone. She screamed in terror

until the person grabbed her light and shined it on his face. It was

Spectrum.

"OH LAWRENCE! Thank god! It was terrible. There is something running

around down here, and omigod-ikilledsomeone-itwasanaccident-ohwhatdowedo!?"

Lawrence wrapped his arms around Foxy, and gently reassured her. "It's

all right now honey... let me just hold you and keep you warm and safe."

His grip suddenly tightened as flames shot out of his eye sockets, and

Foxy screamed in terror. His face bubbled and melted away until there

was only a flaming skull, then the flames spread over the rest of his

body, igniting the fur on her body, burning away her flesh, charring her

bones, melting the walls and floors of the compartment until the room

was awash with blood and liquid metal. Her skeleton screamed in final

horror as Spectrum flared bright as a star going nova, obliterating the

ship and everything. Everything except the banging sound...

...the sound of someone banging on her bedroom door.

"Hey! Foxy! Nap-time's over, we need to hustle down to the meeting room

and see Captain Tonk right away. Come'on, we're gonna be late!" Spectrum

called to her.

WEST COAST DEFENDERS #45: Desperado Kick

Costarring Aurora and the West Coast Defenders

By Chris Angelini and Lawrence Brown (the A to B of Authorial Fusions)

Well-polished doors inlaid with mahogany slid open to reveal one of the

nicer and more well-appointed rooms of the CSS Lenny Bruce, obviously

set up for meetings such as this. At the head of the table presided

Commander Tonk, captain of the fine vessel. Clark and Sparks sat

flanking her, with Colleen and Dr. Sloan on either side of them

completing the Aurora side of the meeting.

Spectrum led his team in to provide the other side to this meet.

Pleasantries were exchanged first, and then after nabbing a quick refill

from the auto-bar built into the side of her chair, Captain Tonk nodded

to Spectrum to get to the meat of the matter.

"Spectrum, here's all the latest intel we have on the Nintan," she said,

sliding a single sheet of paper across the table. Spectrum trapped it

with a hand and glanced down at what he'd just been given. "As you can

see, it's not damned much. No visuals, no biological data, just some

information on their combat efficiency and whether or not they raise

their pinkies while taking high tea... stupid Invaders. Turns out that

they're cunning fighters who love combat, conquest and abhor scones.

That efficiency seems to extend to making sure not much is known about

them. All we can figure is that if the creatures you encountered are

whom they claim to be, the Earth's in for a Helluva (tmuva) fight."

Foxy picked up a copy of the printout and scanned it for a moment before

speaking. "Are they the ones that commit atrocities? Well, then I'll go

to my cabin and wait."

Clark nodded to Foxy and then picked up from where Captain Tonk had left

off. "The Lenny Bruce has been assigned to assist you and your team in

investigating this potential threat. The two squadron's of Aurorean

troopers under my command and will be responsible for shipboard security

and will also accompany you planet-side when we reach our destination."

Colleen picked up a control baton and a wall display illuminated.

"Our computer boffins hae been able to mine th' databases for some

information regarding the planetary system in the Canus Major Dwarf

Galaxy, and there be one Earthlike planet in thae area. T'is composed o'

a higher core density of metal an' hae slight differences in atmosphere,

along with slightly higher than Earth-standard gravity, but still

remains close enou' for jazz. T'is nae a garden spot, rather bein' more

o' a desert. But Clark's troopers should be able tae handle the

environment wi' little life support assistance. Any of ye team with

armor or paranormal strength will be able tae navigate without suits."

British Airwave swallowed. "I daresay that takes me off the landing

party list."

"It's an established rule that no personnel will be cleared for

potential hostile environments until they get the green light from the

Medical team," interjected Doctor Sloan. Eyeing Spectrum, Foxy and

British Airwave meaningfully, he continued. "Based on whom I have seen

so far, the Nintan better watch their backs. But, as the ancient Chinese

proverb goes, no tickeee, no washeee."

Spectrum raised his hand and was acknowledged with a tipsy nod from

Tonk. "Captain, if I may, I have a special equipment request."

"If this is about getting one of my heavies rebuilt or your fiancée's

jet board requisition you can just-" began Clark, who was cut off by one

of Tonk's finest belches ever. Slipping Clark a wink that said 'I'll

explain everything later', or maybe an 'I'm far too blotto to know what

I'm doing', she nodded to Spectrum.

"Permission granted. Colleen, see to it that your technicians do what

they can to assist Spectrum and Foxy with their requests."

"Captain!" protested Clark, clearly interpreting the wink according to

the latter rubric. He was cut off by Tonk's raised hand.

"You have your orders, Mister, as I have mine. And this one comes from

Doyle himself. Perhaps if some time is spent training together, your

troopers and Spectrum's team can learn how to play nice together."

Spectrum smiled. "Thank you Captain. I'm sure that will work things out

amicably."

"Don't think for a minute I expect Clark to be soft on you either," Tonk

continued as she sloshed her snifter of Remy Martin VSOP. "Your profile

mentions you have some previous military experience. You damn well

better be able to follow orders or you may find yourself floating in

space, and I won't blame Clark for your mistakes. I -will- hold you

responsible for your team's actions, so the next time one of them wants

to play soccer with a trooper, it'll be on your head. You got that Mister!?"

"Aye Aye Captain." Spectrum replied politely.

"Good. This is a warship, not the Love Boat. Everyone works, everyone

fights, and everyone looks out for their shipmates. Sparks, how soon

till launch?"

Sparks checked his tablet PC and then glanced back up. "Captain, we are

7 hours 23 minutes and 30 seconds at my mark. Now."

"Hells(tms) bells," exclaimed Colleen, vaulting up from the table. "I be

still loadin' equipment!" Without so much as a backwards glance, the

engineer began to rush out of the meeting room to whip her troops into

greater efficiency, possibly quite literally. Spectrum stood, clearing

his throat and asking her to pause.

"Maybe my team can assist?" he asked, deciding there was no time like

the present to kick off the 2006 West Coast Defenders goodwill tour.

"TDSM and Nikon Ninja can help in the main loading bay. Its big enough

for Parker to shift it to BattleRabbit mode. I could help with the

"You checked out on power-loaders?"

"Just give me a really sturdy extension cord and my suit can do the rest."

Tonk staggered to her feet and raised her glass.

"Any other questions? No? Then a toast to the CSS Lenny Bruce and her crew."

TDSM raised a talon, "When'sss dinner Lydia?"

The entire assemblage, about to take another sip from their assorted

beverages, did a collective spit-take save for Tonk, who simply smiled.

"Samuel, may I speak with you outside for a moment?"

As the two stepped outside, Spectrum looked at British Airwave, then

Nikon Ninja in confusion.

"*Samuel*?"

As the door closed outside, Captain Tonk whirled around, planting an

incredibly dangerous looking blaster against TDSM's neither region.

"Let's get something straight bucko. On my ship, you call me Captain,

you call me ma'am, you call me sir, hell, and you can call me

Agnes-Merriweather-WitchQueen behind my back if you dare. But nobody

calls me by that name without my say so. And never in mixed company.

Pull that again, and I will shoot you where it won't grow back. Clear?"

"Doesssss that mean the datessss off?"

"I'll send for you later this evening. Dress casual. I keep my word. But

you start flapping your mandibles about it and I'll find the biggest

damn water-spout I can find and stuff you in it." With that, Captain

Tonk strode away. Moments later, TDSM walked back into the room, and

quietly took his seat. After an uncomfortable few moments, Sparks was

the first to break the silence.

"Good Lord, he's still alive. She must like him."

Clark stood up and handed some papers to Spectrum.

"I understand you already know the technicians in the repair bays. We'll

muster for inspection 30 minutes before launch. I'll make introductions

between our teams at that time. Don't be late."

Spectrum stood and shook Clark's hand. "Yes, sir. Thanks." Turning to

Dr. Sloan, Spectrum continued. "Foxy will be next for examination, then

I'll be there next, Dr. Sloan, time permitting."

"I'll bring my own exam gown!" quipped Foxy, wearing a mischievous grin.

"Now, which thimble did I stuff it in?"

"Oh dear..." Dr. Sloan sighed. "This could get... interesting."

Sparks darted out the door after Captain Tonk as Colleen leaned towards

Clark.

"I have $10 on the Vixen. You in?"

Spectrum sighed and rolled his eyes. Then he looked at TDSM curiously.

"Samuel?"