SG: WCD #39

Lawrence Brown lbrown at tcfbank.com
Wed May 24 06:59:57 PDT 2006

Deep below the streets of London, in a darkened section of the underground
railway, our heroes have found what the mysterious foes were fighting for.

"What kind of bombs do these look like to you?"  Spectrum glanced at the
crate.  The gunfire had died down.  Either they were reloading or perhaps
they didn't want to set off the bombs while the terrorists were in such close
proximity.

"I'm a toon fox, not a Navy Seal. I don't know bombs from beans."

"This ...looks like...gas?" Spectrum pored over the contents.  "But these,
this doesn't even look normal.  Who are these guys?  What is this writing?
This isn't Arabic...."

"Its Nintan, gov'nah.  Now nip away from the bombs and we shall let you live,
ey wot?"

A half-dozen robed and turbaned figures wearing Dick Van Dyke masks
approached.

West Coast Defenders #39 "Checks and Mates"

by the Amigoid, who really wants this mega-crossover thing to happen

[46 hours ago]

"MARRIED?!"  Parker Peterson, the Nikon Ninja shouted.  The other hotel
guests in the dining room turned and glared at the loud American. "Wow. Cool.
I mean, congratulations!"  Parker stood and shook Spectrum's hand.  He leaned
over and politely kissed Foxy on the cheek.  "You totally have to let me do
the wedding photos!"

"I'll plan the bachelor party..." TDSM rumbled, "We'll need
entertainment...perhapssss I could get Dynamite Vest Man to explode out of
the cake-"

"PPsssbbssttbbt!" British Airwave choked and sprayed tea over the tabletop.

A waiter rushed to the table and deposited some additional napkins, then just
as quickly rushed away.

"Perhapsss not..." TDSM helped, wiping the table.  "We ssssshall all be glad
to help with the wedding planning."

"Indeed, the guest list shall be interesting." Randall recovered his
composure and looked at the pair. "And yes, to answer your earlier question,
I would be honored to be your Best Man.  Since neither of you have any
relatives, I assume the invitees will be other Superguys we have known and
worked with, such as Team M.E.C.H.A?"

Foxy poked Spectrum meaningfully in the ribs, "I can think of a certain
green-haired invid we can skip sending an invite to."

"And her kid too."  Nikon Ninja muttered.

"PPsssbbssttbbt!" British Airwave choked and sprayed tea over the tabletop in
another spit-take."

A waiter dashed up with a mop and squeegeed the tabletop. TDSM pulled Parker
aside,

"SSShut up Nikon!  He doessssn't know!" The arachnid reached for his drink.

"WHAT?!" Parker replied, "He still doesn't know about Marie having a baby!?"

"PPsssbbssttbbt!" TDSM geysered his Mountain Dew.

"PPsssbbssttbbt!" Foxy spewed Chablis in a classic toon spit-take.

"PPsssbbssttbbt!" Parker sprayed water from his mouth, "What?  It looked like
fun so I decided to do it too."

The wait staff promptly began issuing rain slickers and ponchos to the tables
around the heroes.

TDSM looked askance at the Nikon Ninja, and Parker shrugged. "Gee, it was in
the Sleeze a long time ago.  I thought it was old news."

Spectrum stood. Looking at British Airwave, "You knew? How long?"

Randall dabbed his mouth. "Marcus. His name is Marcus, and he is already a
young man.  Some sort of accelerated growth, and add to that he supposedly is
quite brilliant."

Spectrum shook his head, "I have a son, and you all withhold that information
from me?"  He glanced to Foxy, noticed she would not return the look, and as
a wry look spread across his face he put the pieces together. "Its okay guys.
I sorta already knew.  Marie and I kinda talked about things a long time
ago."

"And?" The group chorused quietly.

"And... Marie decided that she didn't want me around.  Look, its hard to
explain and I would have rather talked with Foxy one on one first, but since
it's out on the table I figured I better settle this with the whole team." He
counted off on his fingers. "One, yes, I still have feelings for her, BUT" he
added quickly, "she wasn't sure how she felt about me, and where things might
be going. Two, I guess she didn't want me to upset Marcus or make him feel
like he had to choose.  So if he ever gets to meet me it will be on his own
terms. Three, if I had to hang with some of her pot-smoking buddies that
would have been a pain for me, 'cuz I can't stand that. Four, I had some
unresolved issues of my own to settle at the time. Five, and lastly, I wasn't
sure that she would have been the right woman for me. It was kind of a odd
thing how we hooked up, first being mortal enemies then lovers without
getting to know each other. There was an energy between us, but I don't know
if it would be enough to make something that last.  I've made my decision,
and I plan for it to be a lifetime commitment."  There were other reasons
Spectrum kept to himself. There was unfinished business with Marie. Maybe
someday their paths would cross again.

[Still waiting on that next Marie & Co issue...someone poke SW]

The Nikon Ninja excused himself from the table and made his way to the
bathroom.  Flipping open his phone, he made a call. "Get me the editors desk.
Hey boss, as promised, here is a good scoop for you.  Spectrum and Foxy
are..."

British Airwave coughed, put down his tea, and cocked his head.

"Problems?"  Spectrum asked.

Randall shook his head slowly.  "Not sure, Lawrence.  I'll look into it later
perhaps."

He whispered to a waiting Matre'D, and after a minute or three, the staff
returned with a set of champagne flutes and a chilled bottle of Dom Perignon.
As Parker Peterson returned to the table and the filled glasses were passed
around, British Airwave stood and tapped his glass to silence the breakfast
dining area.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I wish to propose a toast.  To Spectrum, and his new
bride to be, Foxy Lady, may they enjoy a lifetime of joy."

There was a light patter of applause. "And let me take this moment to honor a
man who in Britain's darkest hour made a noble sacrifice, indeed placing his
existence on the line to stop Germany from developing the atomic bomb.  This
man once known to us as the Rocketman, now revealed to have been Spectrum;
blown back in time." There were a few gasps and a few elders muttered
"indeed" as they nodded in comprehension.

"For on this very day, my friend, my ally, this man will appear before the
Queen herself to be knighted!" Now everyone in the room was on their feet,
cheering. "To Spectrum!"

After the hullabaloo had died down, and more than a few handshakes had been
exchanged, Randall looked over at Spectrum meaningfully.  "You understand,
that this is not a substantial knighthood, to do that you would have to be a
citizen or at least hold dual-citizenship.  But make no mistake chum, this is
truly still an honor."

Spectrum grinned, "Yeah, I'll be sharing the knighthood with one of my
favorite musicians and Bill Gates himself.  Funny, he's kinda the reason I'm
here."

"Hmm?"  TDSM looked at Spectrum with some curiosity.

"Ask me later." Spectrum replied.

British Airwave grinned, "I'm looking forward to seeing her highness again."
Conspiratorially, he leaned close to Spectrum.  "Not a word of this to the
others, right? We kissed on VE-Day!"

"No!" Spectrum blinked.

"Yes... although I didn't realize it was her at that moment.   She was in
civilian attire at the time and had snuck out to join in the celebrations.
She had great fun at my expense when she revealed that secret at an
unexpected moment years later. It's been our private joke and now you are the
only other one privy to that.  I don't think even her sister knew."

"Blimey"

"Really now, Lawrence, no self-respecting Brit speaks that way outside of a
Python sketch or a Mary Poppins rerun..."

"Cor Blimey, lookie here now, the bombs are alright." One of the turbaned
figures, wearing a rubbery Dick Van Dyke mask, examined the contents, while
another held a wicked looking blaster of obvious alien origin on the pair of
heroes.

Damn, Spectrum cursed mentally.  If only he had his powers back, or any power
for that matter.  Foxy tensed, but remained still next to Spectrum.  Softly,
he whispered. "Suit status?"

"Energy reserves depleted. Minimum power remaining reserved for system
integrity and locomotion." The suit, in Summer's youthful voice, replied in
his earpiece.

Damn. Damn. "I need some way of juicing up this suit." He whispered to Foxy.

"Sorry sailor, I'm fresh outta jumper cables." She whispered back.

"Shut yer gob!" One of the six turbaned figures yelled.  "Or you will die
even sooner than we planned."

Spectrum quietly gasped. "Waitaminute. I think I have an idea."

WILL SPECTRUM AND FOXY ESCAPE THE TERRORISTS?

WHO ARE THEY?

WHERE DID THEY GET THOSE WEAPONS?

WHAT ARE THEY DOING IN A LONDON SUBWAY TUNNEL?

FIND OUT IN THE NEXT EXPLOSIVE EPISODE!