Copyright Infringement?

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at haven.eyrie.org
Sat Dec 18 14:49:37 PST 2004

     First, copyright is irrelevant unless this movie actually adapts one of
the stories in the archive.

     Second, if movies and print media are different sectors, then there's no
trademark infringement, although I'm not sure they are different sectors.

     Third, we never registered Superguy as a trademark, so even if we can
clearly show we were using the term long before anyone else, it'd be an
expensive proposition to fight the case.  Also, since part of the gag is that
no one ever sees Superguy himself, we don't have as much "look and feel" to
fight on.

     Fourth, this movie is pretty clearly a Superman parody.  I'm not sure
what the rules are for two parodies claiming the same name, but it would make
things even messier.

     Dave, IANAL, but this sort of thing just keeps coming up, so has seen
lawyerly opinions on it.