Sil 1.1.1 released

half exactlyhalf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:02:35 PST 2013

It is Tolkien's birthday again and exactly a year since Sil was first released. Today we are announcing a special 'eleventy-one' release. That's right:

Sil 1.1.1 is now available (for Windows / Mac / Linux):

http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/

Sil is a fast paced roguelike with an emphasis on elegant tactical combat. It was originally based on Angband, but now has very little in common with its parent game. In the recent Roguelike of the Year poll, it was the fourth most highly rated game that was released in 2012 (after FTL, Torchlight II, and Sword of the Stars: the Pit).

Its main features are:
	- a well designed combat system
	- 8 skill-trees full of interesting tactical abilities
	- no easy escapes, making for more complex and challenging encounters
	- mid-length gameplay (about 5 hours to victory)
	- detailed stealth gameplay if you want it
	- true to the subtle, dark ages flavour of Tolkien, not a generic middle ages fantasy

Here is what some people have been saying about Sil:

oiseauxxx
It's the best variant I've ever played, and is becoming one of my favorite roguelikes. Do not be fooled that this is an Angband variant - the developers have gone to great lengths to make this game intuitive, balanced and non-repetitive, having cut out huge chunks of the original game, reworked user interaction, and consolidated redundant/pointless gameplay elements. The design philosophy is much like Crawl's, where everything has a purpose and nothing is wasted.

Brian Jeffears
Essentially, we've got a new project that could've been a proper new Angband fork---before it went waaay past Angband and such and became another thing with some blood ties.

Bainespal
YES!! This roguelike looks very impressive ... I never thought I'd see a roguelike that I liked better than Ancient Domains of Mystery, but this may do the trick!

debo
Sil is the best game of any type I've played in years, and I'm thrilled to see it keeps getting better!!

Psi
Overall though, I'd like to say that Sil is a "masterpiece". It is so well thought out and ... has proved to be very well balanced. I love how you've stripped back so much from Angband and yet brought a real depth to character advancement over a much shorter game.

ewan
The game is marvellously bug-free, cleanly designed, and interesting. It's a huge achievement.

smithfield
For me, Sil is a Masterpiece. I am having the kind of fun with Sil that I had when I was 14. There are very very few games that have done that for me.

hessra
Yep, great game. Definitely one of the best Angband variants because it just cuts out all the bloat and crap that *bands (including V) are notorious for and makes it into a more interesting, tougher, tactical game.

Apothegm
Overall, instead of just throwing in more and more mechanics and options like DCSS, they focus on making the core mechanics deep and interesting.

SalmonGod
It's an Angband variant, except it's so heavily modified from Angband that it's barely recognizable.
What's really got me hooked on it is how elegant the design is in absolutely every aspect.  The interface, controls, and all of the game mechanics are really easy to understand and fairly simple, but still offer a statisfying amount of complexity that forces you into interesting choices.  The balance inherent in these mechanics is damn near flawless.

If this sounds interesting, then try it here:

http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/