7DRL Success: DuneRL

dan.brooker at gmail.com dan.brooker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 19:44:38 PDT 2012

So DuneRL is playable and very difficult.
It is a survival roguelike, set in a large world of sand dunes.

View the readme and screenshots here: http://github.com/NocturnalCode/DuneRL
Mac OS X Binary and source available now.

Interesting:
* Large world, polar coordinate system
* Day and Night, including terrain shadowing
* Dehydration and scavenging for water
* Drain corpses to regain water
* Spice is an addictive drug that wards off dehydration
* Post processing effects for spice madness, and day/night

It's been fun, but we spent too much time on the sand dunes, and some basic mechanics.
As expected a number of fun and interesting gameplay and content didn't make it. I hope we will continue to develop this in future.