No PCG, Deterministic 24HRL: MUTANT ARISTOCRATS!

S D kleinroguelike at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 23:54:54 PDT 2012

There was a brief discussion in the IRC channel yesterday about the
necessity of procedural content in roguelikes. As a result I set
myself the challenge to write the best deterministic roguelike without
PCG that I possibly could in 7 hours, based on the code for my 7DRL. 7
hours was way too short, so I made it a 24HRL instead. The result is

MUTANT ARISTOCRATS!

It can be downloaded at https://github.com/downloads/essarrdee/mutantaliens/mutantaristocrats.zip
(Windows exe + *nix source, uses curses).

It's rather difficult, but it can be won on at least one of the
settings. The objective is to kill the Alien Emperor, in order to have
the legal authority to tell the rest of the Aliens to go away. Since
there is *no* use of any random function (there are some pseudorandom
functions dependent on game variables), the same sequence of moves
will always result in the same outcome.

This is quite a difficult game, so like most roguelikes you will need
the knowledge that you can get from your history of deaths. Since the
level is invariant, it's possible to draw a map of your characters'
discoveries (or look at the source file, which I wouldn't consider
cheating).

Anyway, roguelike or not I hope you find it enjoyable!