7DRL Success: Geiger A.D. '42

Ralph Versteegen teeemcee at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 17:34:46 PDT 2011

Long after civilisation stopped counting the years, life began to
repopulate the barren wastes.

Nigel McBride and I have (nearly) finished our 7DRL based upon Omega
World. Only a few hours of coding worth of the original design is
missing, so I'm choosing to call it a success rather than make it a
8DRL, even though there's no victory condition, and map gen is just
random. But because it's so close, we're planning on actually
finishing the game later.

Commenced at 13:14GMT Monday (secret unannounced extra 14 minutes!),
and completed 168 hours later. Time since then has been lazily spent
trying to package the game for Windows using py2exe. Horrible errors!
I finally gave up on fixing the bizarre random audio glitches and
crashes. SDL_mixer (pygame.mixer) is total awful.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16291524/GeigerAD42_7drl.tar.gz
(Requires Python, Pygame, SDL_Mixer; 8MB)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16291524/GeigerAD42_7drl.zip
(For Windows, no dependencies; 14MB. Py2exe causes lots of audio
glitches which aren't there normally)

(I know someone complained about Dropbox. The game will eventually be
hosted elsewhere.)

Ralph Versteegen