The 2010 7DRL Challenge Evaluation Results

Slash java.koder at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 16:16:25 PDT 2010

> > People of the Roguelike World!

With fifty completed 7DRLs this year, some people wonder how they will
have time to play them all! Fortunately, that is simple: just play one
a week for the next year.

For those less dedicated, a team of evaluators was assembled to give
all the roguelikes a once-over. We graded the roguelikes under six
categories using a simple three point scale. We ensured every
roguelike was graded by at least two reviewers, and aimed for most to
have three reviewers. After a long week of playing, we present our
results!

This list is not meant to be an authoritative ranking of the games. If
you dive in, you will see different reviewers often disagreed on the
rankings. Instead, it is a way for you to help select which 7DRLs are
likely to have things of interest to you.

Each of the following categories was graded from 1 to 3. A higher
number is better. Note that we reserved 3 for "truly excellent", so
getting a 2 is a worthy accomplishment.

Specific comments were also written by reviewers. Note that these are
criticism for the developer to better improve the game - please do not
be unduly offended if they are nitpicky or consist of "I got killed by
a ferret on the first screen".

The categories are, with description of what a 3 means:

* Completeness: Bug free, polished game with no features that feel
like they are missing.
* Aesthetics: Good looking, excellent controls and UI.
* Fun: If you try any 7DRLs, try this one.
* Innovation: Brings something fundamentally new to roguelikes.
* Scope: Beyond what you think could have been done in seven days.
* Roguelike: 3 means Roguelike, 2 means Roguelike-like, 1 means Not
Roguelike. Each reviewer used their own personal definition here.

Presenting the Honorable Members of the Commitee

    * @ Darren Grey
    * @ Ido Yehieli
    * @ Jeff Lait
    * @ Jice
    * @ Joseph Larson
    * @ Kaw
    * @ Michael Curran
    * @ Slash

Access the results here!: http://www.roguetemple.com/7drl/2010/

Thanks to all the members of the committee for their great efforts, we
hope you enjoy it!

--
Slashie
http://www.roguetemple.com