Yet another roguelike game :-) (my pet project "Web Raid" now free for playing/testing)

KH karlheinz.agsteiner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 10:16:41 PST 2010

Hi everybody,

long years after posting to rec.games.roguelike.nethack I'm releasing
my own little roguelike game for playing/testing. I've played quite a
few games with it so far without many crashes so I consider it roughly
like beta. Expect bugs, but not only bugs :-)

The game is called "Web Raid", and as the name suggests the basic idea
is that the game doesn't generate levels, monsters, weapons randomly
like normal roguelikes; instead, the game interprets web sites as
dungeons. It turns (a few) sentence of a HTML page into a dungeon
level, and it turns words into monsters/armor/weaponry. The longer a
word, the more powerful the monster/item. Every vowel and every
consonant influences powers and character (curiosity,
peacefulness, ...).

The goal of Web Raid is to kill the most mighty beasts with the most
powerful weapons and to make it back alive to get this achievement
listed in the achievement list.

If I ever find a server with a fixed IP on which I can run my little
Java app that implements the global achievement server, there will be
even the big global achievement list where you can read for all time
that you're the one who first brought home "Flabberghasted" (which,
btw. translates into a Peach puff Amulet).

Web Raid is written in Java - you need a JRE 1.6 or higher to run it.
It brings its own little tile-based view + standard ASCII view.

If you want more information about it or even try it out, take a look
here:

http://webraid.freehosting.net/index.html

Karlheinz
ps. the game does well without character definition screens and
leveling up and such, so please don't expect a RPG.