Web Raid 1.0 released

KH karlheinz.agsteiner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 12:01:27 PST 2010

Hi everybody,

some weeks ago I've released a first version of my new roguelike game
called "Web Raid". As I think that now all important features are in
and the game is fairly well tested, I'm releasing Web Raid 1.0 today.

What is Web Raid about? Basically, it's Web Browser meets roguelike
game: dungeon levels and every single creature or item are generated
from web pages; every level corresponds to a web page, every dungeon
to a site.

Example: Web Raid turns the word "Example" (in a web page) into a
Level 10 "Black Jaguar". This monster has strong powers in the
elements fire and wood, no strong powers in the elements metal, water,
earth. The personality of the monster is a bit spontaneous and a bit
neurotic.

The goal of Web Raid is to bring home spectacular items and the fame
of having killed powerful monsters.

More information + download link can be fond here:

http://webraid.freehosting.net/index.html

And for those who've already tried out versions 0.1 and 0.15, here's
the changes in version 1.0:

- New feature: Mouse movement support: right-click on any square and
the game will move you on the shortest path to that square, or stop if
the next move would bring the player in attack range of a monster or
when a move fails. Doing so, it will auto-pickup whatever is on the
way.
- New feature: Levels now have one of 10 different themes. The design
of a level depends on the entity in the level that has the highest
level. If e.g. a "Water Dragon" is the entity with the highest level,
then the floor and walls of that level will use tiles and descriptions
that fit to the water theme.
- New feature: maximize tile area: by pressing '*', the UI layout
changes so that as much space as possible is given to the tiles area,
turning it from 5*5 to 15*11 tiles. Press '+' to restore the original
layout.
- New feature: The action '#' now toggles monster / item coloring
between colors based on which kind of item this is (as before) and
gray levels based on the level of the item/monster - the higher, the
whiter.
- New feature: Brag log of your achievements. In the achievement
viewer that appears after your game, you can hit the new "Copy brag
log to Clipboard" button. Then the game will copy your highest
achievement of every kind
  (your most valuable weapon, the highest monster you've killed, ...)
to the Clipboard so you can mail your success to others or similar.
- Created a level editor (not for public usage) that allows me to add
nicer levels. Reworked most fixed levels (these are the levels that
Web Raid uses when the level that is generated from a web page doesn't
make sense, e.g. containing no stair up) to use more and nicer free
textures instead of the same five or so everywhere.
- Minor enhancements:
  + weapons now have 5 skill levels instead of three: Crude,
Plain, ..., Good, Masterful
  + Upgraded to the latest Look and Feel version.
- Bugfixes:
  + Integrated the dialog that showed new achievements into the
achievement viewer (workaround for the problem that this dialog caused
the game to freeze when using the RETURN key to quit it)
  + Fixed: Directory names in Windows with a space in cause the game
to crash after a few minutes
  + Wrong key presses (no command) or running into walls now is
treated as "no input", so monsters won't move.
  + The console was showing a big exception when parsing wrong HTML
input

I hope you enjoy playing Web Raid :-). Any comments (even negative
ones ;-) )  are highly welcome.

Karlheinz

ps. here's my greatest achievements so far:
monster             Black Giant called Dall-Stalak-Fish (23)
treasure            Nice Gold Cup (15)
weapon              Featherlike Peach puff Broadsword (17)
armor               Light Persian indigo Armor called Baldr-Kisin-
Spider (22)
spell               Cobalt Amulet called Sveto-Bat-War (19)